advertisement

What are your favourite Summer Songs?

When the weather hits these temperatures and I’m able to enjoy them I’m inextricably drawn to the sort of songs I heard on the radio when I was between 5-15 years old. And then it’s not necessarily songs I’d listen to normally.

I’m currently listening to a mix of Top of the Pops and Jackie compilation CDs.

So instead of anything cool I gravitate towards Mungo Jerry, David Dundas, Smokie, Suzie Quattro, Hot Chocolate, The Real Thing and God forbid even Terry Jacks - you get the idea.
Sorry, only one from my side. And I hope you do not mind that I was already 16 in 1970. ;) But Mungo Jerry/In the Summertime was and will ever be the definitive summer song for me.

Of course, there have been some other excellent mentions in this thread.

I just posted this in the listening thread by chance - I love all the reggae love songs (never mind the production) ...

Music I remember from the shared flat in Marylebone, summer 1976 always does it for me. Not necessarily from that year, but whatever was on heavy rotation on the PL12D at the time. Dylan’s Desire, The Royal Scam and Hissing of Summer Lawns must be from around then, but Joni’s ‘Help Me’ and ‘Free Man in Paris’ also immediately put me in a living room in Montagu Place with sun streaming through the windows.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back