advertisement

What are you reading these days?

Currently got two on the go at moment, Word Perfect by Susie Dent a new word or phrase for each day of the year. It's going to take a year to read . The depth of Susie's knowledge of the English language makes this an entertaining read.

Also reading Dirk Gently - Holistic Detective Agency, the invention of Douglas Adams never fails to amuse, much quicker read than Word Perfect.

Dashiell Hammett - Four Great Novels (Red Harvest, The Dain Curse, The Maltese Falcon, The Glass Key). The script of The Maltese Falcon film is almost word-for-word the same as the book, and its hard to imagine more perfect casting of the lead roles.

Robert Rankin - The Antipope
PG Wodehouse - Something Fresh
SJ Perelman - Don’t Tread on Me (letters)

john steinbeck - short stories.

enjoying Tortilla Flat. apparently the story was ravaged by the critics as being about down and outs. he was rather upset by this as the book was based on people he knew as friends.

Just finished Patrick O'B's maritime series (again) and now on volume 8 of Robert Jordan's 13 part Sci fantasy romp, 'The Wheel of Time'.

Dave Hepworth's new book about the British Invasion.

9781787632769.jpg

Sue, you should try Charlie Jane Anders if you like BC.
Thanks, will check them out.

Currently halfway through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's been on my 'to read' list for ages, and I'm enjoying it hugely. Gaiman has a knack for drawing you into a tale.

On the last chapter of the last book of the Villanelle trilogy. It isn’t a challenging or cerebral read but an enjoyable romp. It also differs in some significant ways from the TV storyline so worth the effort if you’re wavering.

William Cobbett, Rural Rides.
Published in 1830.

Been on my bookshelf (not read) since 1987. Finally got round to it last week.

A comprehensive, most impressive chronicle of the agricultural situation and political ramifications at that time.

Exhilirating for me to compare some of the places he rode through then, with the online situation in these places now.

Robert Macfarlane: Mountains of the Mind. I have never felt the slightest wish to climb a mountain, but this is a fascinating study of why some people (inclusding the author) do.

Charles Dickens: Nicholas Nickleby. The only Dickens novel I hadn't previously read. A rattling good read)

Harry Pearson: The Beast, the Emperor and the Milkman: A Bone-shaking Tour through Cycling’s Flemish Heartlands. I haven't ridden a bicycle since I was 14 or so, and am not really interested in bike-racing, but Harry Pearson is always worth reading.

Ranulph Fiennes - Cold. I’ve nearly finished it, some good chapters and some excellent ones. The latter for me are his travels with Dr Mike Stroud. Just incredible with what they did, the conditions, the suffering not to mention health risks!

Peter Ackroyd - Tudors. Volume 2 of his history of England. I am struggling a bit with this one. Volume 1 was not easy but I found it a bit more engaging as every other chapter would focus on life in general - language for the time in question or certain village rituals through the year that used to be performed. I am still going to complete this volume 2, I want to complete all the volumes!

advertisement

Back