advertisement

What are you reading these days?

I’m currently reading Ragtime, E.L. Doctorow.

My son gave me it to me for my birthday, I can hardly put it down.

I’ve read about 100 pages today, it’s excellent so far.

I read this quite a few years ago and remember enjoying the first half of the book but that the second half less so - apologies if I'm being a bit of a wet blanket here but would be interested if your experience is similar.
I've just read a spate of nature / rewilding books and have had to lighten up a bit and just finished some Matt Haig books , enjoying the Humans and especially The Last Family in England - the latter narrated by a labrador.

Happy reading

Tony

I read this quite a few years ago and remember enjoying the first half of the book but that the second half less so - apologies if I'm being a bit of a wet blanket here but would be interested if your experience is similar.
I've just read a spate of nature / rewilding books and have had to lighten up a bit and just finished some Matt Haig books , enjoying the Humans and especially The Last Family in England - the latter narrated by a labrador.

Happy reading

Tony

I’m at chapter 20 the one JP Morgan has lunch with Henry Ford, they both sound completely off their trolleys. I always knew that Ford was nuts and a racist/anti-Semite but to see it described in his first meeting with Morgan was unreal.

I’m guessing that conversation/lunch was somewhat apocryphal?

Just finished ‘A closed and common orbit’, the follow up to ‘The long way to a small angry planet’ by Becky Chambers. Lovely, humane stories, which is quite rare in Sci Fi, IME; she has a way of making you care about her characters.

I’m currently reading Ragtime, E.L. Doctorow.

My son gave me it to me for my birthday, I can hardly put it down.

I attempted The Book of Daniel by E.L. Doctorow which I found heavy going, (might return to it eventually) as the history interests.

Just completed Michel Houellebecq’s Seratonin (a hoot as always) and The Truants by Kate Weinberg which was a very assured and accomplished first novel, supposedly like The Secret History (overrated in my opinion)

Looking forward to starting The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow and then the remaining two from the border trilogy.

Finished The Power of the Dog, very impressive in scope and detail, so much that The Border and The Cartel will follow eventually.

Concretopia by John Grindrod was an informative, refreshing reassessment of Britain’s post war architecture, The Long Take by Robin Robertson was unlike anything I’ve read before and memorably good due to that.

American Dirt and The Strange Death Of Europe await.

Just bought the so-called Glasgow Trilogy by Malcolm Mackay, I'm a sucker for gangster stories. So far a bit disappointing, full of staccato sentences designed (presumably) to show off the author's intimate knowledge of how the criminal world thinks and behaves, and little character development. Let's hope it gets better or it will be making a premature return to the charity shop it came from.

Being at a trendy Leeds Grammar School from '68 - '75 (it went comprehensive in '72), apart from doing episodic things like building Motte and Bailey castles out of straws and other such villein stuff, the Russian revolution and the English Civil War, we didn't do much History. The lessons in the 3rd year consisted of the elderly teacher reading his copious notes made 40 years previously, and us writing them down. History (and Geography, and Music etc.) all ended after the 3rd year, as we were only allowed to do 7 subjects for O Level.

As a result, my knowledge of the history of this great country is somewhat sketchy on the details. Hilary Mantel has filled me in a bit on the 1500s, and (re-)reading the trilogy this summer, I was struck by the Brexitiness of much of the goings on.

Well, this little book is brilliant for someone like me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1910400696/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 It's well-written, is clear, has maps and clever little pictogrammes to sum up the theses. It seems 2016 was nothing new. It's all part of a recurring British engagement with and withdrawal from Europe. The North-South divide is nothing new, either, with the Trent being the traditional boundary, and something he calls the Jurassic Divide separating "the rest" from Roman Britain.

I sort of knew these things, but its good to see it all written down and explained. As for Brexit, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. History for Dummies!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just started The Trial of Henry Kissinger by Christopher Hitchens and Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury(a Christmas gift from my lovely daughter). Going to read a lot more this year.

I've been really appreciating reading this year. An hour decompressing with a book really helps with the covid gloom and occasional work stress.

I'm currently reading A Forger's Tale: Confessions of the Bolton Forger by Shaun Greenhalgh. A real insight into what passes for authenticity in works of art. I really enjoy Fake or Fortune so it's fascinating to hear Shaun's side of things from 'the dark side'.

Venice: The Lion, the City and the Water by Cees Nooteboom and Diary of an MPs Wife by Sasha Swire.

Bonfire of the vanities- Tom Wolfe. Probably one of the best books I’ve ever read, he has a knack of writing about complex issues with great lucidity. Obviously this is not a new book but I urge you all to read it if not already.

Just finished ‘A closed and common orbit’, the follow up to ‘The long way to a small angry planet’ by Becky Chambers. Lovely, humane stories, which is quite rare in Sci Fi, IME; she has a way of making you care about her characters.

Sue, you should try Charlie Jane Anders if you like BC.

advertisement

Back