advertisement

What are you reading these days?

I'm currently reading The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog by Dr. Bruce D. Perry. The book is a collection of reflective accounts of his time working with kids who've been traumatised with notes on the neurological science involved peppered throughout; he and his team were called in to work with the children who were caught up in the Davidian Cult catastrophe at Waco.

In a nutshell, he explains that 'bad' behaviour (bad behaviours are simply an adaptive coping mechanism), addictions, physical ill-health and so on are merely symptoms of untreated trauma as opposed to being simple issues that exist of their own accordance. He also notes that the solution to untreated trauma is healthy relationships with moderate, predictable and patterned (and safe) stress. This book is amazing and should be mandatory reading for all :)

51sqKBtnzIL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I read far too infrequently - busy working and home life and a commute shared with a talkative colleague means not a lot of that time to read.

However, I’ve been trying to make more of an effort when I can as I continue to miss it. My main criteria for reading are: novels, 20th and 21st century and not very long.

So I’ve just finished Everyone is Watching by Megan Bradbury. Interesting riff on the growth and changes of New York during (roughly speaking) the 20th century with a significant focus on some key characters from that era (Walt Whitman, Robert Moses, Robert Mapplethorpe, Patti Smith, Edmund White) and their same sex love lives.

Am about to start Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. And a collection of poems, Human Chain, by Seamus Heaney. Both suitably short.

I need to keep a list..!

Jensen Button autobiography as a light read and The Science of Discworld by Terry Pratchett et al. The latter is a wonderful combination of Terry's anarchic humour and interesting discussions of a range of scientific topics.

I am working my way through my collection of Michael Innes whodunnits, in no particular order. Currently it's 'Operation Pax', probably his best.

I tend to only read YA and graphic novels at the moment or Punk histories. My three this week are two re-reads and a new one. Please don’t buy from Amazon.

IRL (In Real Life) By Cory Doctorow and Jen Wang
Anda loves Coarsegold Online. The massively-multiplayer role playing game is a place where she can be a leader, a fighter, and a hero. But things become a lot more complicated when Anda befriends a gold farmer - a poor Chinese kid whose job is to collect valuable objects and sell them to other players for real money. This behaviour is strictly against the rules in Coarsegold, but Anda soon comes to realize that questions of right and wrong are a lot less straightforward when a real person's real livelihood is at stake.

9781596436589.jpg

The Pervert Remy Boydell and Michelle Perez
Sort of a anthology of a Trans girls life illustrated in Furry graphic novel form as a sex worker and the grinding poverty and harshness and occasional tenderness that comes with this life.

9781534307414.jpg

The First Rule of Punk
An illustrated novel about troublesome 12 year old and middle school drama ensues as Malu struggles to conform. Except the real Malu loves rock music, skateboarding, zines, and Soyrizo (hold the cilantro,). When she assembles a group of like-minded misfits at school and starts a band, Malu finally begins to feel at home. She'll do anything to preserve this, which includes standing up to an anti-punk school administration to fight for her right to express herself.

Not a spoiler: The first rule of punk Is to be yourself.

9780425290422.jpg

Last edited:
Sargasso sea won't mean much to you if you haven't read Jane Eyre.

Sargasso sea is where silver eels go to spawn before making their way back to fresh inland waters, they can travel over ground to colonise farm ponds etc.
its one of the greatest migrations on the planet, from a Gloucestershire pond, 3500 mile to Haiti.

Where does Jane Eyre come in? ;)

I have just finished "The Vinyl Detective -Written in Dead Wax" by Andrew Cartmel.

A gumshoe type caper set in SW London of an audiophile vinyl collector of rare jazz. Light, but great characters, and possibly the only mention of Koetsu cartridges that I shall encounter within a novel. Plot takes us to Japan (where we encounter hi end stuff), to LA (where we encounter jazz studio mastering and recording), and all around the charity shops and record fayres of London. Made me smile a few times, and keep reading.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1783297670/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I bought the Kindle version but particularly enjoyed the Audible version in the car and as bed time story.

Like classic jazz and hi fi, and detective stuff? Worth a try

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Sargasso sea is where silver eels go to spawn before making their way back to fresh inland waters, they can travel over ground to colonise farm ponds etc.
its one of the greatest migrations on the planet, from a Gloucestershire pond, 3500 mile to Haiti.

Where does Jane Eyre come in? ;)
Jane Eyre was a big fan of eels and mash, and used to travel to London specifically to eat them.The mad woman in the attic didn't like eels, which was why Jane had her incarcerated. As a result Jean Rhys wrote "Wide Sargasso Sea" because she didn't much like eels either and certainly didn't want to travel to the Sargasso Sea or be bricked up in an attic. Or something. Jeremy Corbyn will never survive this, one more failed election and it's the attic for him too. These foreign eels, they come over here, live in our ponds, and leave when it's time to breed. Send their gametes home, all of them, they do.

I had been listening to the first book of Peter Hamilton latest trilogy Salvation earlier in the year whilst out running and the second has just been released and purchased with my monthly Audible credit. However I am currently working my way through Stephen Fry's sublime reading of the full works of all the Sherlock Holmes stories. I keep saying I will just get to the end of the current story and start on Salvation but have not managed to break out just yet.

Jane Eyre was a big fan of eels and mash, and used to travel to London specifically to eat them.The mad woman in the attic didn't like eels, which was why Jane had her incarcerated. As a result Jean Rhys wrote "Wide Sargasso Sea" because she didn't much like eels either and certainly didn't want to travel to the Sargasso Sea or be bricked up in an attic. Or something. Jeremy Corbyn will never survive this, one more failed election and it's the attic for him too. These foreign eels, they come over here, live in our ponds, and leave when it's time to breed. Send their gametes home, all of them, they do.

In my defense, I have never actually read the book, but I have watched a few cossie drama adaptations :D

I'm currently reading The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog by Dr. Bruce D. Perry. The book is a collection of reflective accounts of his time working with kids who've been traumatised with notes on the neurological science involved peppered throughout; he and his team were called in to work with the children who were caught up in the Davidian Cult catastrophe at Waco.

In a nutshell, he explains that 'bad' behaviour (bad behaviours are simply an adaptive coping mechanism), addictions, physical ill-health and so on are merely symptoms of untreated trauma as opposed to being simple issues that exist of their own accordance. He also notes that the solution to untreated trauma is healthy relationships with moderate, predictable and patterned (and safe) stress. This book is amazing and should be mandatory reading for all :)

51sqKBtnzIL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That looks like a really interesting book. I'm so far behind in my reading I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but it will go on the list.

A great book. "Put out more flags" is also a great read.
Yes, I really enjoyed Scoop also. He has a certain way if writing that I sometimes struggle with in the early chapters but then get used to it.

I am also a big reader of crim fiction, loved the Martin Beck books although I'm sue some may find them tedious.

For enjoyment, currently re-reading "At The Sign of Triumph" by David Weber as a 'run up' to get me up to speed for then reading the following volume "Through Fiery Trials".

For info, reading "The Human Planet. How we created the anthropocene" by Lewis and Maslin. Good as an overview for putting climate change into context, and loads of references.

Also looking forward to Weber's "Uncompromising Honor" which I'm told will arrive here on about 16th Jan. Again, I'll re-read the previous book or two to remind me of the status ante to that. :)

The Direct Path, a user guide, by Greg Goode. A practical guide to awareness and consciousness based on teachings of Sri Atmananda Krishna Manon. The usual '60s hippie stuff but condensed and to me mirroring the Sufi teachings of Ibn al - Arabi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Arabi

Retirement allows such things:)

I’m currently reading Ragtime, E.L. Doctorow.

My son gave me it to me for my birthday, I can hardly put it down.

I’ve read about 100 pages today, it’s excellent so far.

advertisement

Back