advertisement

What are you reading right now?

My nephew is starting to take maths seriously, doing double maths A level, and so I started digging through my old Uni maths books to see if there was anything that might be of interest to him. I dug out the old classic Hardy & Wright page turner 'An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers' to see if I thought it might be good for him, and have lost myself revisiting some bits of maths that were long buried.

I just finished John Updike's In the Beauty of the Lilies, which was an excellent multi-generational exploration of nature vs nurture, religion, and cultural ideals versus reality.

Bravely struggling through this:

412RiSBbx+L._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Vol.2 of Professor Röhl's three-volume biography of Wilhelm II. It's interesting, but there's soooo much detail, largely because Prof. Röhl often lets the characters tell us in their own words (and they were great diarists and writers). Röhl had access to a lot of previously unknown material (including letters from Vicky, Wilhelm's mother, to her mother, Queen Victoria - the present Queen granted access to this hitherto private correspondence). The subtitle tells it all - Wilhelm's increasing tendency to autocracy and his seeking not to be bound by the trappings of democracy or the diplomatic efforts of the foreign ministry. People were questioning even then whether he was quite right in the head. Many German politicians were already foreseeing disaster.

The Cosmic Game. Explorations of the Frontiers of Human Consciousness by Stanislav Grof

The Mirror and the Light. It’s way too long and I forget who’s who a lot but nevertheless I’m enjoying it. It’s like she was a fly on the wall wherever Cromwell went. Hated history at school.

I am reading everything I can on Modern Monetary Theory. It is the single most important thing for understanding the reality of how we live since the Theory of Evolution.

Tim Moore's Vuelta Skelter: Riding the Remarkable 1941 Tour of Spain. Tim rides the route of 1941 Vuelta reflecting on Spain in the post civil war era. I've learned much about the horrors of the civil war. Tim's style is entertaining and informative.

Next on the list is the final Montalbano book which arrived in my Kindle yesterday. There will be a touch of sadness reading this book same as when I read the last Terry Pratchett book.

@Le Baron will be very happy to hear this!

I find life baffling enough as it is without studying economic theory ;)
It’s actually very simple: Government spending does not depend on tax as we have been told for the last half century.

This means that we can afford to fulfill every need of Health, of Education, of Climate Change.

We don’t have to live with unemployment, poverty and poor public services, it’s a political choice

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back