advertisement

What are you listening to right now #7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
joel said:
Music of Indonesia, Vol. 13 Kalimantan Strings Another amazing album from what has to be the closest there will ever be to a defintive Indonesian music series. This sounds a bit West-African in places, but played much more slowly and with gongs, the gongs...
Actually there is an awful lot of stuff going on in here. The vocals often have a very Indian feel with familiar ornamentation and a similar timbre, while the strings are balanced somewhere between Szechuan and Bamako.

That sounds very interesting, Joel. I haven't been to Kalimantan, but I have been to the bit of Malaysia above it to climb Mount Kota Kinabulu. Some of the music we heard on that visit was tremendous. Is this series currently available, and is it on vinyl or CD?

There is a short world music section in the catalogue of a dealer I have used quite often.

Hey, you're not wrong! I love that Crowes album.

Tortoise - Standards

I seem to be working my way backwards through their catalogue.

Enigma Le RoiEst Mort, Vive Le Roi has just finished

Enigma The Screen Behind The Mirror is on now, and next will be

Enigma Love Sensuality Devotion

An evening of electronic chill

supersax play orchesrated tunes by Bird, Bud Powell, Med FLory (the leader), A.C. Jobim and even swing a traditional folk song. Wonderful.

d

Currently working my way through the rather good Sinopoli/Philharmonia Mahler cycle (the songs have been particularly fine). Listening to symphony no. 5 at the moment.

regards, Tam

Going through some vinyl;

Damned-music for pleasure
Icicle Works
Joy Division-closer
Stranglers-iv
Bad Company
Led Zeppelin-2

Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement