advertisement

What are you listening to right now #7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
> Dream Songs and Healing Sounds in the Rainforests of Malaysia Truely AWFUL, meretricious album title, which is a terrible shame, as this is an astounding album. A genuine Psychedelic masterwork, and required listening for Shamens everywhere.
Available for download at very reasonable cost here

Status Quo - Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon - Junior's Waiting

In fact the whole bloody album.

Truely Quo at their very best.

Creation Records "Doing It For The Kids" compilation...
Some lovely forgotten stuff on here such as Heidi Berry, Nikki Sudden & early Primals & My Bloody Valentine. We had proper summers in them days you know.

Might finish off by gazing at my shoes and the House Of Love debut album.

kev.

Was: Kraftwerk- Tour de France
Is: Arcade Fire- Funeral (hadn't listened for a while... still good)
Will Be: Sleater-Kinney- The Woods

Music of Indonesia, Vol. 13 Kalimantan Strings Another amazing album from what has to be the closest there will ever be to a defintive Indonesian music series. This sounds a bit West-African in places, but played much more slowly and with gongs, the gongs...
Actually there is an awful lot of stuff going on in here. The vocals often have a very Indian feel with familiar ornamentation and a similar timbre, while the strings are balanced somewhere between Szechuan and Bamako.

First new Lp purchases for about 8 yrs!

Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel (double gatefold double LP)

Goldfrapp - Supernature.

Not played either yet - just drooling at the sleeves lol

andy c!

Was: Coltrane all afternoon

Is: as an antidote to so much virtuosity, Maureen Tucker (she of Velvet Underground fame), Life in Exile after Abdication

Finished listening to a newly acquired pristine vinyl copy of Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" earlier (sweet!), which, umm, leads to the following question... for which, I give you, Mrs. Kasperhauser:

<mrs.kasper>I was wondering if it's just me or if anyone hears a resemblance between Al Stewart and the lead singer of Pet Shop Boys, Neil Tennant?</mrs.kasper>

Gentlemen, if you will.

In a weekend mood:

Jack Rose: Kensington Blues - a good blend of straight ragtime and more extended raga pieces.
Iron and Wine: Endless Numbered Days - rapidly becoming one of my favourite records
Frank Sinatra - In the wee Small Hours - don't usually like Frank that much but picked this up as it is, apparently, Tom Waits favourite record. Lovely, intimate settings. Lovely stuff.

Kevin

a mixture of stuff, illustrating the better quality seemingly of older LP pressings:
Depeche Mode - playing the angel (better on CD than LP)
Goldfrapp - supernature (CD & Lp on a par)
depeche mode - construction time again
ABC - lexicon of love
Yello - stellar

Was: Magdalen Kozena singing Bach arias
Is: Four Tet - "Everything Ecstatic". Rather good. Harder, darker and more dislocated than "Rounds" (which I grew to like a lot, but could be a tiny bit twee)
Will be: some Schubert

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back