advertisement

What are you listening to right now #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
52385669812_7741627bbd_z.jpg

The first of three Blue Notes I found at the local tip’s hospice shop some five or six years ago. I’ve only just got round to cleaning them up and playing them. Not too bad - Jimmy sounds a bit distorted, but whether that’s what he wanted, or the mastering or L. Carter’s dodgy stylus, I don’t know. Also there’s occasionally a noticeable reduction in level when Jimmy really turns it on - sudden panic by the masterer, maybe? And what are those stamps all about? Some kind of import payment?

Anyway, it’s fantastic to be playing some near-60-year-old Blue Notes, and for the princely sum of £1 I don’t care about the scratches. Next up will be…

Last edited:
52385809562_b00d99bafc_z.jpg

…this. OK, but not really excited. Quite similar to The Sermon (above) in many ways. Strange how an organ can dominate when taking the place of a piano in the rhythm section. Lou seems to be almost a bit part player here. Pleasant enough, but onto the third… (NB only one stamp this time!)

52385809562_b00d99bafc_z.jpg

…this. OK, but not really excited. Quite similar to The Sermon (above) in many ways. Strange how an organ can dominate when taking the place of a piano in the rhythm section. Lou seems to be almost a bit part player here. Pleasant enough, but onto the third… (NB only one stamp this time!)

I can't believe the tip had the temerity to sell you scratched old records. Probably too late to return them now but as I'm in a generous mood and I don't like to see anyone short changed I'm willing to reimburse you and take this off your hands for a freshly minted shiny pound. I'll even cover postage.

I can't believe the tip had the temerity to sell you scratched old records. Probably too late to return them now but as I'm in a generous mood and I don't like to see anyone short changed I'm willing to reimburse you and take this off your hands for a freshly minted shiny pound. I'll even cover postage.

Very kind, but I think I’ll stick - especially after this one, which is the best of the three by miles to my mind…

52387214585_6b670de2fd.jpg

A piano this time, and played by Herbie Hancock. And Billy Higgins too. What could possibly go wrong? Well, nothing did, I reckon. But no Blue Note inner and NO STAMPS! And a few crackles. Maybe another Knosti-ing is necessary.

Yes..After failing to link to the You Tube vid, and giving up I expected some sort of 'funny' response.

So..here's what I was listening to..

I only knew the name, from this single track on a HFN/RR- Ace Records freebie I'd almost forgotten.
Maybe I'm the only one who wasn't aware of Hadda Brooks' career..but I love little discoveries like this and will be seeking out more of her work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back