advertisement

What are you listening to right now #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan - Oil On Canvas. Vinyl....

41EdR2a3ljL._AC_.jpg

I discovered Weidorje's self-titled and only release at the weekend. Superb French jazz-fusion in a Magma meets Gong meets Brand X meets Frank Zappa kind of way.

Zw.jpeg

If you don't already have any Lard Free or Univers Zero in your life, you need to check them out.

1955 UK 10". I enjoyed the Rita Reys track more than I expect. I've seen plenty of her later records in the EUR 2 boxes but I've never paid any attention before. I might keep an eye out for 'The Cool Voice Of Rita Reys' with the Jazz Messengers backing her on one side.

ZWc.jpeg

cGVn.jpeg

Vinyl 2xLP’s, recorded live in Berlin 4th Nov. But 2020 first issue.

Jim, I missed this on release (and I doubt I'll be paying £50 for a used copy now) but I'm curious to know how it sounds.

It looks like they're mostly playing Ibrahim pieces apart from the pieces that are jointly credited - which I assume are improvisations?

I really like the pairing of Ibrahim and Carlos Ward on the Sweet Basil Vol.1 record I have from a decade later.

I guess what I'm asking is how much is it an early 70s Don Cherry thing and how much is it an Abdullah Ibrahim thing?

Jim, I missed this on release (and I doubt I'll be paying £50 for a used copy now) but I'm curious to know how it sounds.

It looks like they're mostly playing Ibrahim pieces apart from the pieces that are jointly credited - which I assume are improvisations?

I really like the pairing of Ibrahim and Carlos Ward on the Sweet Basil Vol.1 record I have from a decade later.

I guess what I'm asking is how much is it an early 70s Don Cherry thing and how much is it an Abdullah Ibrahim thing?
I got it a little after release. I can’t remember what I paid now, but I think about £25.

Most of the compositions are by Ibrahim, but it is very much a collaborative work in Cherry’s 70’s World Music, African roots of Jazz mode. They all play flute (various types) and lots of percussion as well, plus vocal chanting. Ibrahim’s piano playing is I think just about the most ‘free’ I think I heard from him (and I am a fan), but you can still hear his ‘township’ rhythms. You can also hear references to Cherry’s some of compositions throughout like Om Shanti Om. Great trumpet solos from him as well, but it is very percussive driven even by Ibrahim’s piano playing as well as the variety of percussive instruments. You don’t much from Ward on Alto, he is mainly playing some flute and percussion. Ibrahim’s piano is the dominant main instrument though.

I really like it and I hear more in it every time I play it. The sound quality on the vinyl is really excellent as well with a couple of caveats. 1. The are quite a few audience noises throughout, but IMO it enhances the live feel. It seems a little like a ‘workshop’ at times. 2. On the vinyl the break between sides (particularly side two to three record change and a lack of fade in and out does disturb the flow a little. The CD will probably better here and that comes with a 12 page booklet missing from the CD. The dynamics are startling at times on the piano well as with all the percussion instruments. Nice weighty piano tone as well.

Top recommendation from me, but sorry that is not much help. Even the CD starts at £65 on Discogs. I’m surprised how much this has shot up in price in a short time.

Edited for multiple typo’s.

Last edited:
I got it a little after release. I can’t remember what I paid now, but I think about £25.

Most of the compositions are by Ibrahim, but it is very much a collaborative work in Cherry’s 70’s World Music, African roots of Jazz mode. They all flute and lots of percussion as well as vocal chanting. Ibrahim’s piano playing is I think just about the ‘free’ I think I heard from him (and I am a fan), but you can hear his ‘township’ rhythms. You can also hear references to Cherry’s compositions throughout like Om Shanti Om. Great trumpet solos from him as well, but it is very percussive driven even by Ibrahim’s piano playing as well as the variety of percussive instruments. You don’t much from Ward on Alto, he is mainly playing some flute and percussion.

I really like it and I hear more in it every time I play it. The sound quality on the vinyl is really excellent as well with a couple of caveats. 1. The are quite a few audience noises throughout, but IMO it enhances the live feel. It seems a little like a ‘workshop’ at times. 2. On the vinyl the break between sides (particularly side two to three record change and a lack of fade in out does disturb the flow a little. The CD will probably better here and that comes with a 12 page booklet missing from the CD. The dynamics are startling at times on the piano well as with all the percussion instruments. Nice weighty piano tone as well.

Top recommendation from me, but sorry that is not much help. Even the CD starts at £65 on Discogs. I’m surprised how much this has shot up in price in a short time.

Thanks Jim - great review. It sounds like an interesting recording. There seems to be real revival of interest in Don Cherry in recent years so perhaps it will get a reissue at some point. Another one for my 'list'!

Thanks Jim - great review. It sounds like an interesting recording. There seems to be real revival of interest in Don Cherry in recent years so perhaps it will get a reissue at some point. Another one for my 'list'!
Paul, sorry for all the typo’s, missing words. Most now corrected. I probably still didn’t really get to the heart of what the music is. After a few listens I think it comes down to being a ‘spiritual’ and ‘immersive’ work in the manner, but not the same style, that late Coltrane recordings are. It even has Cherry chanting Krishna, Jesus, Mohammed etc towards the end - a bit like ALS.

I don’t do high quality streaming, but perhaps it is on Qobus or Tidal? I have found a clip on Youtube though that will give you the ‘flavour’ of it better than my description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back