advertisement

What are you listening to right now #60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see both the good side to Spectors version as well as the OTT side that McCartney and George Martin saw in it:)
The latest reissued version of ‘Let it be’ is rather good, a bit more weight to it. Lennon was very unhappy with his voice at the time so he wanted it hidden from ear when possible. The expanded Doc on Disney plus is very revealing of the prevailing dynamics.

The latest reissued version of ‘Let it be’ is rather good, a bit more weight to it. Lennon was very unhappy with his voice at the time so he wanted it hidden from ear when possible. The expanded Doc on Disney plus is very revealing of the prevailing dynamics.

Is this the 8 hour long "Get Back" doc or extra material beyond that? I saw the full Get Back doc and bloody marvellous it was. I came away even more impressed with McCartney and thought they could almost have been called "The Paul McCartney Band"! . They all impressed though and I thought lennon's singing was fine. The way John and Paul could harmonise so effortlessly was amazing. I was surprised at how much of the twiddly guitar work was Lennon and not Harrison though...
So tragic that Mal Evans was shot dead by the yank filth a few years later!

Is this the 8 hour long "Get Back" doc or extra material beyond that? I saw the full Get Back doc and bloody marvellous it was. I came away even more impressed with McCartney and thought they could almost have been called "The Paul McCartney Band"! . They all impressed though and I thought lennon's singing was fine. The way John and Paul could harmonise so effortlessly was amazing. I was surprised at how much of the twiddly guitar work was Lennon and not Harrison though...
So tragic that Mal Evans was shot dead by the yank filth a few years later!
Yes, the ‘Get Back’ doc, I’m only about a third the way through though. Lennon could definitely play, he was very self-conscious about his voice to the end, always had a lot of reverb on his vocals.

I was really impressed by the overall standard of musicianship & how quickly Ringo picked things up & never overplayed, just served the music.

R-2457328-1285125654.jpeg.jpg

Never ceases to amaze

Yes, the ‘Get Back’ doc, I’m only about a third the way through though. Lennon could definitely play, he was very self-conscious about his voice to the end, always had a lot of reverb on his vocals.

I was really impressed by the overall standard of musicianship & how quickly Ringo picked things up & never overplayed, just served the music.

Indeed he did have a fair bit of reverb on vocals at times but not all the time. Any doubts over Ringo's drumming were laid to rest yep. I can't recall him making an error even once and it's tasteful rather than pyrotechnic drumming which, as you say, just served the music.

As there were 60 hours of footage to choose from and the end credits show Paul, Ringo, Yoko and maybe Giles Martin as something like "assistant producers" it makes you wonder to what extent embarrassing bit's where either they made themselves look a right tosser with a tantrum or something.... or were verging on violence, or screaming at Yoko to STFU, or playing badly.... "weren't considered to have such artistic merit as to make the final cut":rolleyes:

Fantastic anyway though and you felt almost like you had got to know them a little after 8 hours of it and could have maybe jammed with them a little and gone to the pub with them all later:)

I was disappointed that on the Xmas TOTP this year, absolutely nobody looked ready to rock. Seemed to be a bunch of awful sub-X Factor tosh.

Another Xmas present from Mrs Seeker.

c747ac05.jpg

I gave this band a stiff ignoring when this came out - "Assassing" was a good single but nothing to warrant buying a whole album. Also, hearing "Kayleigh" everywhere put me off the album for ages. Only took me 35 years to bother to listen to the rest.

Still not a massive fan of their post-Fish output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back