advertisement

What are you listening to right now #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
R-2007786-1495623875-4733.jpeg.jpg

Vinyl, Impulse reissue.
Great, but track varied lineup on this including along with Shepp, Bobby Hutcherson, Henry Grimes and Ed Blackwell.

41vzApL26%2BL._AC_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This a compilation as well. A tribute to Theolonius Monk by various artists.
Vinyl, UK 2xLp's original pressing.

It's great when you're on a roll - you're teaching me so much. This stuff wasn't covered very much in Sounds or the Enemy when I was of that age and it was hard to piece the jigsaw together. It didn't help that all Jazz was considered 'hippy music' in those days after fusion had been displaced by new wave.

Tangerine Dream - The Sessions One. On clear vinyl....

71RAO%2BDKqYL._AC_SX679_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's great when you're on a roll - you're teaching me so much. This stuff wasn't covered very much in Sounds or the Enemy when I was of that age and it was hard to piece the jigsaw together. It didn't help that all Jazz was considered 'hippy music' in those days after fusion had been displaced by new wave.
Gavried, your much too kind:oops:. It's just that I'm older :(. This next, Monks own album, has 4 Monk compositions all that were on the above composite. Three of which were prepared for this recording date. Brilliant Corners, Blue Bolivar Blues and Pannonica. Only Beshma Swing wasn't.
R-6836592-1427650865-3371.jpeg.jpg

Vinyl, US original stereo.

Edit:
Gavreid sorry for your name change to Gabriel. Dam auto complete. Now correct.

Last edited:
71KgeMr87kL._SS500_.jpg

Three of which were prepared for this recording date. Brilliant Corners, Blue Bolivar Blues and Pannonica.

It's a wonderful record but I feel for the musicians!

The complexity of the title track became a challenge for Monk's sidemen, who attempted twenty-five takes, and led to tension between him and Henry, who nearly broke down mentally, and Pettiford, who exchanged harsh words with Monk during the session. Monk tried to make it easier on Henry by not playing during his alto solo. During one of the takes, producer Orrin Keepnews and others in the control room could not hear Pettiford's playing and checked his bass microphone for a malfunction, but ultimately realized that he was pantomiming his playing. Without a completed single take, Keepnews ultimately pieced together the album version from multiple takes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Corners#Recording

Double Vinyl...
812582y-eLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

CD..
81IUT240SnL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back