advertisement

What are you listening to right now #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realised I hadn't listened to any Stereolab for a while, and hadn't played this particular record for ages. .

OIP.Vs4vywKEixCHquNfRZScVwAAAA

On vinyl.

Olafur Arnalds. Just finished And they have escaped the weight of darkness and now on to Living room songs. Just gorgeous, and wonderful, contemplative late night listening. Accompanied by a mug of tea, and a small dram of Bunnahabhain Toiteach a dha. Life’s not all that bad, is it?

For the long drive home today:
Bill Nelson - Getting the Holy Ghost Across (2 CD Version)
Traffic - On the Road
Edgar Froese - Epsilon in Malaysian Pale

Reactions: MVJ
I think it will grow on me, very loud recording mind.

Loud indeed, but the over-compression is at least an artistic decision rather than some loudness war bs. Hmmmm come to think of it I wonder if it's not an artistic statement on loudness in recording. I mean, this is Low, afterall, the band that would turn down their guitars if the audience was too loud.

MI0003982722.jpg

Its interesting to return to ECM CDs after listening to so much Blue Note. While the 50s and 60s BNs - in whatever form - document one of the great periods in jazz and the reissues are so compelling, I think the ECM records are their equal even if the quality does slip a little at times - and they fantastic on CD.

This, however, is sublime by any standards.

61xFXhz2FaL._AC_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Sault - ‘Black is’, ok, I am rather late to this & was initially underwhelmed but I was equally wrong about this as I was about Joni Mitchell. It’s stunning & I also really like ‘Rise’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back