advertisement

What are you listening to right now #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
In places both Lost Horizons albums are superb, and sound fantastic

I had a bit of a listen to the latest which this track is from on youtube but was completely unimpressed by the other tracks.... which are very different (Cocteau Twins must be "Feat." on it a lot from the sound of it... Meh...)

It seems it is The Hempolics then which I like... rather obscure and only one album out but I may well get it as the track I linked to above has impressed me more on first listening than anything else I've heard in 35+ years!!! (could be my first vinyl purchase in 20 years).
A thick slice of heavy DUB, disturbing but beautiful, which has a very interesting and haunting melody and with all the studio trickery almost distorts the space-time-melody continuum (think "Strawberry Fields" for the "odd" sound of it but multiplied many fold) and has key shifts which almost defy analysis, all brought together by the fantastic vocals of the female singer which swoop and swerve around the melody... Truly a sonic cathedral of sound pop pickers... Nice! (and if that doesn't make "Pseuds Corner"....)

The last time I was THAT impressed with a first listen to anything was when John Peel played "New Amsterdam" by Elvis Costello and The Attractions and I went out and bought "Get Happy!" the next day! Now that was a good purchase... every track a winner! A mate I played it for a few days later also went and bought it the next day!

My first listen to The Stone Roses first album came close to this..

I had a bit of a listen to the latest which this track is from on youtube but was completely unimpressed by the other tracks.... which are very different (Cocteau Twins must be "Feat." on it a lot from the sound of it... Meh...)

It seems it is The Hempolics then which I like... rather obscure and only one album out but I may well get it as the track I linked to above has impressed me more on first listening than anything else I've heard in 35+ years!!! (could be my first vinyl purchase in 20 years).
A thick slice of heavy DUB, disturbing but beautiful, which has a very interesting and haunting melody and with all the studio trickery almost distorts the space-time-melody continuum (think "Strawberry Fields" for the "odd" sound of it but multiplied many fold) and has key shifts which almost defy analysis, all brought together by the fantastic vocals of the female singer which swoop and swerve around the melody... Truly a sonic cathedral of sound pop pickers... Nice! (and if that doesn't make "Pseuds Corner"....)

The last time I was THAT impressed with a first listen to anything was when John Peel played "New Amsterdam" by Elvis Costello and The Attractions and I went out and bought "Get Happy!" the next day! Now that was a good purchase... every track a winner! A mate I played it for a few days later also went and bought it the next day!

My first listen to The Stone Roses first album came close to this..
The whole project is Simon Raymonde based, so the Cocteau Twins influence is inevitable throughout.

Good shout on the Hempolics, hadn't bothered to check them out, listening now...

The Mothers - Absolutely Free. It’s never been one of my go-to Zappa albums, but it seems to make sense tonight. I think a lot of the material was adapted from their Garrick Theater shows, and there is a sense of revue about it, with intimations of the Flo and Eddie era. The lyrical content of Brown Shoes Don’t Make It is really quite shocking today - I wonder if it were more or less so in 1967. Plus of course there are quotes from Stravinsky and Louie Louie all over the place of course.

And who couldn’t love a lyric like “And I know, I think, the love I have for you will never end. Well, maybe...”

Zappa has a whole internet radio station: Zappa Stream radio. Only right and proper really. Listening to it now. What a playful man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back