advertisement

What are you listening to right now #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why but as the evenings begin to close in I invariably seem to give In a Silent Way or Jack Johnson a run. Must be why this particular album found its way to the front of the queue.

es9oWnW.png

.sjb

Two recent Pure Pleasure releases:
Charles Lloyd Quartet - Love-In
Charles Tolliver, Stanley Cowell, Cecil McGee & Jimmy Hopps - Music Inc

51bLQk%2B%2B3AL.jpg

Wikipedia sum this up pretty well: "The band's approach centred on the "time, no changes" approach of Miles Davis and John Coltrane applied to slow, funky grooves with voodoo lyrics inspired by Dr. John alternating with blaring big-band horn riffs and improvised free-jazz solos reminiscent of Ornette Coleman and Albert Ayler." In other words, dark and groovy as **** and about as far from diddy wah diddy as it's possible to get. If you like Ginger Baker's airforce or Nucleus, you'll love this.

My original was knackered, so I bought a repro this weekend in Brussels, unfortunately it's dished, but it sounds OK.

This foot-tapper is getting daily plays, catchy house? Whatev's, in this house we agree it's good for getting down.

Exuberance is the only word for it.

zRtQpdF.png

Quite loud unfortunately, Roon measures most tracks as -12 to -15.9dB. I find I can listen up to -14.8ish but above (below?) -15 is pretty headache inducing.

.sjb

Tim Blake - Crystal Machine

Not quite as good as 'New Jerusalem' but still a pleasant listen to unwind to.

First heard this:

On SongExploder, which i'm sure many PFMs are aware of but always an interesting podcast. Looking forward to the new album tomorrow now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back