advertisement

What are you listening to right now #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaLa Land soundtrack - City of Stars

Last film my wife and I got to see in the cinema (we were both in London for our respective jobs, so had a night together and our daughter stayed with grandparents). It’s soppy, has some jazz in it and was effortlessly acted by the leading pair.

She’s working away in China again this week (3rd week out of the last 5) so I’m missing her....

I love it when I get home and there's an LP by the door that I'd forgotten I'd ordered ages ago!

Khruangbin - Hasta El Cielo

Remixes and Dub covers of probably my favourite album from last year, on limited yellow vinyl. Sounds pretty good so far.

had a jethers evening. like many of those who give them the time of day, I like most of the 70s stuff, before Anderson's alien abduction.

all Wilson remasters / remixs (still don't really understand which is which and why!).

my current mid-fi (but vintage!) setup makes most stuff sound pretty much as i'd 'like' it to ... but try as I might to convince myself otherwise faves such as minstrel / songs / heavy horses aren't really cutting it. Just sound a bit dead and contrived. I love Barrie(more)'s drumming, and usually like the 70's studio 'dead' sound, but it's just so 'flat' (and yet a bit harsh too on something like 'Minstrel').

But the earlier stuff on Stand-Up and Benefit ... gosh. Sounding full and live and ... wonderful, basically.
Whatever the reasons for Cornick's ousting, he was a fantastic bass player - contributing so many song-forming bass lines / hooks in an inimitable fashion (Inside is one of my faves - and is centered around his bubbling, utterly original, lines).

Reactions: MVJ
Be Bop Deluxe - In Concert October 1976

R-5012804-1382254618-9644.jpeg.jpg

For Duster (The Blues) - Fleetwood Mac Rumours out-take. Not a big fan of later FM, but this is great, sounds like JJ Cale and Leon Russell really ripping it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back