advertisement

What are you listening to right now #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
a1815553890_10.jpg

Alice Coltrane’s “Radha Krsna Nama Sankirtana”. So lovely. Side 2 never fails to disappoint. Alice vamping away on the organ and her 13 year old(!) son on drums.Fookin’ brilliant.

Karen Dalton, Cotton Eyed Joe (Live in Boulder, 1962)

This is superb. Posthumously released, but fully the equal of her two studio albums. A series of colossal, perfectly-weighted performances that breathe fresh nuance into songs you thought you knew.

The lightness of touch remains, even now, somewhat disarming - this is music so remote it seems to exist outside time. (Karen was in her 20s when it was recorded, but you couldn’t age the cadence in that voice.)

It’s extraordinary stuff - like everything which bears her imprint. KD deserves a much bigger reputation.

Last edited:
Good morning all! I'll set the scene... Soft light from a candle and a warm glow from my AI500 Valves, setting the perfect atmosphere for Miles Davis's In a Silent Way. This is being enjoyed with Cheese, Biscuits and Port... I'll have ESP on afterwards...

David Bowie - Scary Monsters, side 1

Nearfield and loud

Next Lodger, then SM side 1 again, before other inhabitants return to quell the volume

Bloss

Renaissance - Ashes Are Burning

A recent reissue from Esoteric with some BBC live tracks. Not their best ('Novella' since you ask) as Annie's voice has still to fully develop but some good moments make it worth buying if it's your sort of thing.

New Insanlar release out today, so I'm spacing out to that while an edit renders.
If you like the idea of a Turkish psych E2E4 (kinda), the download is on bleep for a bargainous £2.49.

JB RADIO2....FLAC96/16 via Roon for a bit of background whilst browsing.

(SQ up there with Radio Paradise, possibly better IMO)

Karen Dalton, Cotton Eyed Joe (Live in Boulder, 1962)

This is superb. Posthumously released, but fully the equal of her two studio albums. A series of colossal, perfectly-weighted performances that breathe fresh nuance into songs you thought you knew.

The lightness of touch remains, even now, somewhat disarming - this is music so remote it seems to exist outside time. (Karen was in her 20s when it was recorded, but you couldn’t age the cadence in that voice.)

It’s extraordinary stuff - like everything which bears her imprint. KD deserves a much bigger reputation.
Totally got to check some of her stuff out, been on my listen-to list for a while.

NP: Hugh Maskela 'Home is where the music is' on almost impossibly immaculate first UK press vinyl. An Afrobeat/Soul Jazz classic.

Good morning all! I'll set the scene... Soft light from a candle and a warm glow from my AI500 Valves, setting the perfect atmosphere for Miles Davis's In a Silent Way. This is being enjoyed with Cheese, Biscuits and Port... I'll have ESP on afterwards...

Ah, sometimes I miss life without toddlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back