advertisement

What are you listening to right now # 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mills Brothers, The Early Years via Qobuz. Marvellous stuff. The quality of some of the recordings is fantastic considering they're seventy to eighty years old.

For the first time in what must be 20 years, I woke up wanting to listen to Pink Floyd.

The Man & The Journey / More / Obscured By Clouds / Meddle / DSOTM (16/11/74 Live BBC Broadcast) / The Extraction Tapes (cough)... three+ hours on the road ... now Meddle again.

I've probably got it all out of my system for a while but it was a nice contrast to the usual industrial techno and hard bop.

Brushfire Records & Monotone Presents Zee Avi. Great cover of 'First of the gang to die' on this album

Elvis, live in Vegas, 1970. Sounds tittied, you can hear him doing his karate moves at the end of some numbers.
The voice is still good but jeez, the interpretations. He's working over Bridge Over Troubled Water with a marimba in the background. This is a cruise ship cabaret nightmare. It's so awful it's brilliant. It'd have your gran reaching for the Quaaludes.

On classical tip, out of character I suppose.
Mozart's Horn Concerto No.3 ... first time for ages, very nice and doesn't outstay its welcome.
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

Jah Wobble - I Could Have Been a Contender

Covers all the bases (groan...) spanning 30+ years, and Public Image to Evan Parker via Brian Eno and ex-members of Can

Still love album this played loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon Giltrap: 'Visionary'. Bought it at least thirty years ago, can't remember playing it before. Prog rock wasn't all bad.

An evening of blue notes 75 Annis on vinyl

Dexter Gordon Go
Larry Young Unity
And now Art Blakey - free for all recorded a months before I was born.

All highly worth the price ticket

Four-disc set Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes. Soundtrack to my evening blitzing the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back