advertisement

What are you listening to right now # 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm getting excited by the two forthcoming Velvet Underground releases, so I'm listening to various versions of VU & Nico and White Light White Heat. Micro listening to all the various masters and mixes that I already possess (or own!)

Stephen Mallinder, Pow Wow. His solo mini-LP from the early 80s, which I haven't listened to for at least 25 years. Not bad in retrospect, still at the point when Cabaret Voltaire members were capable of doing interesting things.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are they?

The Sundazed re-issue mono 5 LP disc collectors boxset. LPs 1-3 in freshly mastered mono from original tapes, the 4th 'lost' LP (the 80's mixes remastered) and a mono Chelsea Girls.

Arguably the mono VU&N is the better mix. They're also saying the same about Chelsea Girls. And you know how fans are about mono – even the originally stereo 3rd Lp has been folded down and worked-over as a new mono version of the 'closet mix'.

Then, The Velvet Underground & Nico 'Super Deluxe' six CD disc set (on UMG ) with remastered stereo and mono (hopefully better than the 2002 versions which most people disliked), alternate versions of many of those songs, the famous acetate with some tracks now mastered from original tapes(!), the previously bootlegged Live at The Valleydale Ballroom 1966 gig that spans two discs (hopefully better quality), the 1966 Warhol Factory rehearsals. (EDIT: Oh, and more bloody Nico crooning with another Chelsea Girls CD - I guess mono again ).

http://olivier.landemaine.free.fr/vu/discog/cds/cdboxsets/cdboxsets.html#box6

alan jones sextet - unsafe

soft machine - seven (which I like a lot although I suspect it's viewed as tired, end of the line stuff)

Shriekback - The Infinite, an ebay bargain that turned up today (which has saved me having to digitise a couple of 12"s)

Eric Dolphy & Booker Little Live at the Five Spot, with one of my favourite ever hard bop tracks.

[youtube]BxQs-Zhuslc[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back