advertisement

What are you listening to right now #16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
songs of green pheasant - aerial days

pleasant shoegazey drifty gubbins, like some kind of flying saucer attack / galaxie 500 combo.

Sorry, it's Fjernfjernkontrollkontroll.

Curses. Nurse! More wine!

Okay last for tonight before I fall over is Electric Masada -- 50th Birthday Celebration CD 4

A superb live set rocking through a load of the stuff I have not remembered and anyway it doesn't matter -- its all so reinterpreted live who gives a hoot what its called? Currently rocking thorugh ialah-abal -- a real heavy metal rendition complete with Marshall Amps on 11. Zorn is just about keeping up with Marc Ribot on that one. Starts with a 15 minute rendition of Tekufah -- so different from the original (on account of the drum solo that splatters through it seizure like... Hadasha is percussive and wacka wacka wacka and Reggae/Klez/Funk fusion With Trevor Dunn laying down the Bass beat for everyone to hang on for dear life with. Works for me. Ikue Mori adds occasional weirdness with laptop electronics and Jamie Saft on the ivories with two drummers (this time) Joey Barron and Kenny Wollenstein and Cyrano baptista doing the percussion thing makes this a very noisy and busy CD.

A rare cabal of wildness, madness and beauty in a very public space. Gotta be worth anyone's £10.

Martyn Bates, Your Jeweled Footsteps. New compilation of solo and collaborative works from one half of Eyeless in Gaza. Not much on here I don't already have, but nice to have it all collected, there's some wonderful stuff on here.

-- Ian

Just finished today's work listening to Masada. The first evah release from Zorn and co and TBH the scope and breadth of this band wasn't apparent from these first delicate steps... Still lovely to have and to hold and to hear. Its like a jewish big band for hire but with more attitude than swing. Masada is apparently quite rare but I got it on the marketplace for £6 -- a Japanese CD. I hope its not an unlicenced copy -- if it is then its a good one.

Am now playing the The Unknown Masada. Much rockier, its actually very much like some of the LA big-band Jazz scene and 90s Jazz/Funk crossover (a la Yellowjackets or Chick Corea's 90's GRP output with Dave Weckl -- but with no piano of course)... A wide array of avant-klezmer infused jazz-funk-heavy metal-meets-improv-meets-big band orchestrations. Mental drumming - as always. Zorn's pulled back from the shrieky spitty thing he does with his reeds on these CDs -- odd not to hear.

A colleague asked me if I thought about becoming a Jewish convert (ger tzedek -- I had to look it up). I said "not yet... but I am coming out as a Klezbian."

[Blank look.]

Was: Bob Dylan - Modern Times (LP - 2006). Album of the year by a fecking street!

Is: The Triffids - Calenture (LP - 1987). Despite the awful 80's drums a great record by a massively under recognised Aussie band.

Cheers

Rich

Dave Holland Quintet - the Razor's edge

Rhythmically challenging but easy to listen to as well IYKWIM. A really nice set of pieces. Almost 20 years old. Fresh as a daisy.

Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth. Haven't listened to this for ages, but it's just as good as I remember it. Worth the price of admission for 'Elegant Chaos' alone.
Is he a genius?
Is he barking mad?
Was he abducted by aliens.
Yes, yes and probably.

Great lost album.

Martin

edit: all this, and oboes too.

edit: all this, and oboes too.

My 12 year–old daughter has just taken up the oboe. (I hope that statement comes across with all the emotion I intended. Just to make sure, I repeat: My twelve year–old daughter has just taken up the oboe.)

Now playing: Neko Case - Furnace Room Lullaby

fanTASTIC.

Herbie Hancock ~ Maiden Voyage Freddie Hubbard / George Coleman / Ron Carter / Anthony Williams

This is so strong. Stunning writing, playing and recording. My desert island No.3.

d

Dave Holland: Extensions. More of the same but better. Fab ECMage.
PS good choice Dave! I think that'll be next. Ta!

Was: XTC - Oranges And Lemons (LP - 1989). Frustrating sort of band. One minute you think they are doing some great original stuff with pop - the next they sound incredibly twattish. Too much time in the studio basically - bit like 10cc 15 years earlier. Managed 1 side of it.

Now: The Fall -I Am Kurious, Oranj (CD - 1988). The mighty ones on very near top form. Hadn't heard this in years - great stuff. More Fall next probably.

Cheers

Rich

Buzzcocks - Live At The Roxy (CD). Excellent ramshackle performance from April 1977 and incredibly well recorded. The punkette calling for an encore with "come on you cocks!" is my new heroine.

Cheers

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back