advertisement

What are you listening to right now #16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Evans (The other one that played with Miles in the 80's) 'Soul Insider'. Great contemporary soul jazz played by top modern jazzers.

Yamaytaka Eye & John Zorn -- Duo (With Sawia Takeji and Fred Frith)

Hard core and spacious soundscapes. Its funny because Zorn keeps playing Masada licks between some of his most groaning, imploring and punctuated playing. Imagine the meeps, goans and moans of Keith Jarrett but voiced by a Sax... Eye adds the noisescapes and what sounds like someone tapping on the top of a cardboard tube Imagine that mixed with 2001 a space odyssey sounds and you've got it.

Update: Hysterical screaming Japanese male voice having a shitfit at something and John Zorn's bloodied and tortured alto sax surrounded by hordes of digial buzzing wasps and shimmering open channel distortion is a completely mindbending experience... I think I should form a religion around this... Incredible stuff. This isn't even the edge of my world, but its gotta be getting close.

Fave track so far is Big Muff Dive I know I know... I am completely shallow really...

Cecil Taylor/Tony Oxley, Leaf Palm Hand. Possibly my favourite of the 10 CDs of Cecil playing with various groups and solo over a month in Berlin in 1988, released by FMP as a box and still available separately. Just awesome.

-- Ian

Scott H. Biram - The Dirty Old One Man Band

Variously described as hillbilly blues-core, manic mean-man blues, and a soul kiss between John Lee Hooker and Lemmy.

It's all of those. "Wreck My Car" is a modern masterpiece.

Eyeless in Gaza, Summer Salt & Subway Sun. The first new EiG record for 6 years, w00t. A good one too, albeit much less impressionistic and more traditionally song-based than most of their records of the past couple of decades. Sort of a return to Rust Red September era songs, if that means anything to anyone else.

Buy from http://www.eyelessingaza.com/ and Pete Becker will personalise your copy.

-- Ian

Nice one - I played Red Rust September the other day. Lovely stuff. Must check this new one out.

Cheers
Rich

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Non Cognitive Aspects of The City CD 1

Oh yes this is good... very good indeed...

Another late junction ruined by that ****ing folk music cack... ullian bagpipes... heathen celtic weaponry... worse than prog IMV.

I'm off to read book

Sebadoh- Bubble & Scrape. Specifically 'Sister'. Scrappy but awesome lp- pinnacle of sebadoh's albums. Before Arvo Part's De Profundis.

...Little Axe - Stone Cold Ohio
Trying to grab a listen before I'm back out to work at 7 - love these 15 hour days
Managed to listen yet? What's it like? I have a few of his older albums that are pretty good (better live though).

I rather like the Northumbrian pipes. That Kathryn Tickell plays the hell out of 'em, too.

Now playing: Style Council - Internationalists

Spunk: Filtered through friends.

Everybody's favourite female anarchist chamber quintet. A Rune Grammofon release (so it can be trusted implicitly). A surpisingly effective remix of their LP Det Eneste Jeg Vet Er At Det Ikke Er En Støvsuger (aka: The Only Thing I Know Is That It Isn’t A Vaccum Cleaner) which itself is a cheeky little number from last week's care parcel that was not far from my CD player a few days ago... played by Kristin Andersen (trumpet), Hild Sofie Tafjord (French horn), Maja Solveig Kjelstrup Ratkje (vocals, electronics) and Lene Grenager (cello) and all were recorded experimenting with improvisations and electronics to make an unrelentingly wonderful and uncompromisingly personal music... I still love it how all those instruments can be made to sound like a dozen geese chuckling and clucking away on your lawn.

This is a remix CD so its got strange stuff going on in addition to the other strange stuff by loads of remix people I freely admit to not knowing (what? you mean you don't know who Andreas Mjøs, Ritso Holopaninen, Sun Demon, Jørgen Træen, or Lasse Marhaug is/are?) -- fave so far is Fjernfjernkontrollkontroll, Feil Remix -- a cold hard ambient soundtrack with gnomes in it (so it cannot be all bad) I have typed Fjernfjernkontrollkontroll correctly (twice now) so I clearly need to have another huge glass of this red stuff. Cheers.

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Non Cognitive Aspects of the City CD 2

Still good... still very good indeed...

Nice Bass solo early on in.

(PS Fjernfjernkontrolkontoll)

Just been listening to a recording of last night's Takacs quartet's concert - Bartok's 6th, Mozart's D minor quartet (both sublime), and Beethoven's op.132 (scratchy and disappointing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back