advertisement

What are you listening to right now #14?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zealandic

pfm Member
ben harper live at the appollo.....chris isaak baja sessions...susheela ramaan salt rain... murray head pipe dreams.... eric clapton me and mr johnson....and finally diga rhythm band diga....

Was: Ornette Coleman – This is our music
Great vinyl copy from ebay

Is: Hototogisu – Ghosts from the sun (2xcd)
Majestic drone/noise from Matthew Bower (Skullflower, Total, Sunroof!) and Marcia Basset (Double Leopards, Zaimph). Anyone vaguely interested in the genre should own this – just stunning.

The Georgia Blues 1927-1933 on the Yazoo label. In particuliar Police Dog Blues by Blind Blake. Records on the Yazoo label are one of those labels that I do seem to collect.

Before that:
Bert Jansch: Jack Orion.
Jimmy Smith: Midnight Special
Gillian Welch: Time Revelator

Peter

Gong, Floating Anarchy. Pure nostalgia, the first Gong LP I ever owned. Might play Camembert Electrique next.

-- Ian

Yeah, Flying Teapot, one of my favourites, although I don't have a copy any more. Must hunt one down.

-- Ian

I was in a band with a girl who was arguably norway's biggest gong fan, so got a bit gonged out. Tempted to stick on Angel's Egg for a laugh.

COLTRANE - impulse!

picked up what looks like an early French stereo copy today (via Rare and Racy in Sheffield). Just finished a quiet listen and it looks like I'm going to have to rethink my Trane thing. I was quite happy for 'My Favorite Things' to sit as my favourite (sorry) but along comes this. Elvin's intensity pushing JC's extended vocabulary even further within a standard framework. Maybe (imho) the greatest jazz record ever.

d

sideshowbob said:
Norway's Biggest Gong Fan would make a great slogan for a badge.

My son got a badge making kit for christmas...

Went for Giant Steps instead (seems to be a Coltrane sort of night eh Dave). Mine's on cd and it sounds great, but what's with that 'stereo' mix? As far as I can tell they've just stuck the sax and piano in the left channel and bass and drums in the right leaving a strange gap in the middle. It just sounds wrong – why would they do that?
Is there a better version of this easily available?

D E V E N D R A B A N H A R T

simply amazing. a little Jeff Buckley, Nick Drake and Daniel Johnston thrown into a blender with a bit of Incredible String Band on top.

Neko Case, People Under the Stairs, Gnarls Barkley, Juana Molina to name a few....

XO

bd

And speaking of nostalgia...

Now playing: Jean Beauvoir - Drums Along tha Mohawk

Pure mid-80's pop-funk with a slice of cheese, from the be-mohawked ex-bass player of the Plasmatics.

Will be: the sound of my Simon & Patrick, as I struggle to remember old cajun tunes my brother-in-law Sonny taught me, long time back.

Been out and about today ( yesterday) so it's been ipod time
listened to Jah Wobble - Mu
and Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanagan - Ballad of the broken seas
several times each

but what's with that 'stereo' mix? As far as I can tell they've just stuck the sax and piano in the left channel and bass and drums in the right leaving a strange gap in the middle. It just sounds wrong – why would they do that?
Is there a better version of this easily available?

Early mono vinyl versions are around (I've got a great copy of Giant Steps on HMV) or use an amp with a mono button. Failing that just enjoy the focus you get on Trane's sax. I do on My Favorite Things.

d

Thanks Dave - do you know what the going rate is for original coltrane mono's these days, not including the sillily priced blue notes of course?
It's still easy to enjoy this though.

Dat's early stereo for you. All his later Impulse recordings are the same, except whenever anyone apart from Trane solos, they move into the middle. Trane just stays in the left speaker throughout, too cool to move.

A mono switch is very handy for these moments. Any early Trane pressing, mono or stereo, is likely to set you back from £20 - £30.

-- Ian

Mason Ruffner - Gypsy Blood. I keep forgetting how good this record is.
Especially on a groovin' LP12.

sideshowbob said:
Dat's early stereo for you. All his later Impulse recordings are the same, except whenever anyone apart from Trane solos, they move into the middle. Trane just stays in the left speaker throughout, too cool to move.

A mono switch is very handy for these moments. Any early Trane pressing, mono or stereo, is likely to set you back from £20 - £30.

-- Ian

Ouch! My Ornette Coleman vinyl's only been £6–8 each...
Perhaps I can get them cheaper if the sleeve's a bit knackered?

Not got a mono button on my amp so looks like I'll just have to get used to it.

Looking at the HMV jazz sale... Does Live at Birdland, Crescent, Kulu se Mama and Ballads also suffer from the early stereo syndrome?

I've got earlyish stereo LP's of most of those, and it's never bothered me. You do get used to it. I just try and remember it's a line of musicians and that's how they stood.
Out of interest is yours one of the new RVG masters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back