advertisement

What are you listening to right now #1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideshowbob

Champagne fascia aficionado
At the weekend, I picked up a copy of Freelectronic, an early 80s album by Tomasz Stanko (recorded before his discovery by ECM, who seem to have helped turn him into a noodling pit of tedium), on the Polish Poljazz label. I'd never have bought it if it wasn't for a friend pulling it out of the rack and saying, "Oi, this is great". I didn't believe him, but he's right. Some beautiful trumpet playing over the top of some pretty good, in places nicely spacey, electronics. I like this a lot.

Before that, a Birdyak album from the late 80s. Birdyak were the house band of the still-running Klinker free improv club, until the death of leader Bob Cobbing, the great (and insane) dadaist poet. Features Hugh Metcalfe on guitar and kazoo, Cobbing's equally lunatic wife, and Lol Coxhill. Great fun, it goes something like, "Sping! Woop! Ping! Zhhhheeebb, zubb zubb bloing!"

-- Ian

Bessie Smith by Bob Dylan and the Hawks, as I make my way yet again through the Band box set.

Before that was Comet by Cordelia's Dad, an otherwise fairly unremarkable pop band who trekked into deepest Appalachia, resolved to learn the old folk tradition the right way, from the living practitioners. This disc is all "hardcore" traditional folk (save the hidden track, which I skip).

Satie, Piano Works : performed by Joanna Macgregor.

Previously it was 'As good as it gets' a singles collection by the criminally under-rated Gene.

I just rediscovered Recoil's "Bloodline". A small electronica masterpiece which I've yet to grow tired from.

On now, Unity by Larry Young, one of many cds picked up on the basis of recommendations from Cook and Morton's Penguin Guide to Jazz. Good stuff in the classic mainstream Blue Note style. Joe Henderson on good form.

Incidentally, another was Astigmatic by the Krzysztof Komeda Quintet featuring a young Thomas Stanko. Ian, do you have this? I got a copy from Amazon US. Cook and Morton think it is one of the best jazz recordings made. It's a pretty fine example of mid 60's european jazz: free playing to a point and wonderfully jagged but with a underlying sense of structure and control which is more rooted in 20th century classical than blues.

Kevin

What are you listening to right now?

Bugger all! The system is boxed up in the cellar (except the Spacearm which is holidaying in Nottingham), vinyl is boxed up in a huge pile in the front room, there is plaster and paint all over the bare floorboards (thankfully some on the walls too) and bloody Celebrity Big Brother on the TV…

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L
bloody Celebrity Big Brother on the TV…

Yeah what the flip is Bez doing on there? Is there some sort of conspiracy to get as many ex Mondays on the telly as pos what with Rowetta on that other crap thing. Funniest bit was when he said he was the dancer in the Happy Mondays but he couldn't even dance!

Not that I watch these things of course........

Rich

D'you see the size of Shaun Ryder on the opening show? Big fella !!!

Kevin

Originally posted by kjb
[Incidentally, another was Astigmatic by the Krzysztof Komeda Quintet featuring a young Thomas Stanko. Ian, do you have this?

I don't, but from your description it sounds a lot like some of the other Komeda albums I've heard. I must try and pick some of these up, but it would definitely be a vinyl thing (luckily, the place where I got the Stanko had a pile of East European jazz, including some Komeda records).

-- Ian

Just coming to the end of Moya Brennan (Two Horizons) previously know to all as Maire Brennan apparantly no one could pronounce her name so she changed it to Moya A backwards step in my opinion but hey what the hell do i know.
Before that it was Amici Forever

Andy

Originally posted by andy831
...previously know to all as Maire Brennan apparantly no one could pronounce her name so she changed it to Moya...

Well, I'll be diggled. I've been mispronouncing it badly. And I like her, too. Least I did when she was in Clannad. Which I'm probably also mispronouncing.

Anyone just seen Bez trying to converse with Jacky Stallone? Truly very very scary.....

Rich - why am I watching this shit?

Before: Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
Now: Scott Walker - boy child 1967-1970 Groovy, man. First play on the NAS... He isn't Brel, but this is really quite marvellous all the same.
After: Musique Baoule Kode - Sublime slice of Africana from Ivory Coast (before it was torn apart) recorded for Ocora in the mid-sixties. And no, there isn't a CD version ;-)

A large pile arrived from Tzadik this morning, including:

Mike Boner/Danny Cohen/Horse Cock Kids, Self-Indulgent Music.

Almost impossible to describe. So I won't. Nearly as entertaining as its title suggests. As Mike Boner says in the sleeve note:

"No matter how healthy you get, you still end up sick".

-- Ian

Ian

you're right generally there's far too much noodling on ecm stuff although to be fair stanko's a pretty good at it.

right now i'm listening to ascension and before that sun ra - nuit de la ....v 2. worth it for the cover alone.

hope you are well

john

Yo John, good to see you here.

Epic Soundtracks, Everything is Temporary. Out-takes, demos, and live recordings, put together after Epic's suicide. Some lovely, delicate, songs on here, as far from the art-punk racket of Swell Maps as you could imagine. This, and the previous Rise Above, are both well worth searching out. Anybody who likes Big Star (especially the Sister Lovers album) will love these.

-- Ian

Small Faces - The BBC Sessions

Check out the Zeppelinesque "You Need Loving" Great band, great songs! Lazy Sunday is one of my favourites.

just finished: Patty Smyth "Never Enough". With members of the Hooters as her backup band.

now playing: Beth Gibbons/Rustin Man "Out Of Season".

next up: Taj Mahal "Giant Step".

I've gone back to me roots just lately -

Wolf's Italienisches Liederbuch (Schreier, Lott, Johnson)
Beethoven's Hammerklavier, & Op 109, 110, 111 (Brendel)
Beethoven String Quartets (Alban Berg Quartet, Kodaly, New Budapest)
Mahler Das Lied von der Erde (various, but mainly featuring Janet Baker)

Balm to me tortured soul!!

Git

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back