Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you cooking tonight?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Alex S, Sep 24, 2022.

1. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

so far we've had pork scratchings and cheesy garlic bread.

2. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Pukka steak and kidney pie, chunky chips and baked beanz.

unclepuncle likes this.
  3. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

Shit n sugar with rice.

4. unclepuncle

unclepuncle pfm Member

Chicken curry and basmati rice

[​IMG]

5. Jezzer

Jezzer Passionate

Fried rice noodles:

[​IMG]

martin clark, narabdela and ErikL like this.
  6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I did a one-pot pasta thing as an experiment. Note to self - pasta dishes are best when you cook the sauce separately from the pasta. The only exception is lasagne etc and even they involve pre cooking the sauce(s). I've known this for years, I still ignore my own advice now and again.

7. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Considering the date, it will be Haggis, Neeps and Tatties to mark the birthday of our national bard.

Big Tabs and narabdela like this.
  8. mjw

mjw pfm Member

As above. A pal in Inverness supplies us from his local butcher.

cctaylor and narabdela like this.
  9. eguth

eguth pfm Member

Likewise me. However, I don't do tatties and, as I did when living in Scotland, put tomato puree on the haggis for a flavourful sauce. It will be washed down with German lager.

By the way, first written record of haggis being eaten is in England, in about the 1400s. Are we certain that haggis did not originate in England?

andrew d likes this.
  10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It depends what you call haggis. I am sure that people have been pushing various bits of meat and offal into pigs' and cows' intestines and cooking it as some form of sausage for millennia. I'm equally sure that they would bulk it out with whatever vegetables or cereals they had to hand. Oats would be a favourite. The presence of nutmeg and coriander in the traditional recipe indicates that it is a post-Crusades invention, as these ingredients would not have existed in any commercially available quantity in northern Europe prior to that, so C12 on, which fits with it being recorded in the British Isles in the C13.

11. mjw

mjw pfm Member

or, as my Scottish wife would say, ‘wash yer mouth out’.

eguth likes this.
  12. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

Haggis, Neeps and Tatties, slathered in butter.

13. eguth

eguth pfm Member

' Hagais' or 'hagese' first record in England ,[cookbooks: Liber Cure Cocorum (Lancashire & also another; 'Hagius of a Schepe'): both c. 1430.]

14. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes pfm Member

Never mind tonight, today we made pizza dough for 4 week's worth of Friday night pizza, batch-cooked 8 portions of chicken paprika, 2 double portions of braised steak in gravy, and half a dozen portions of mince.

That's the freezer well stocked for the coming weeks