advertisement

What are you cooking tonight?

Fried rice noodles:

89-FBE0-B7-E217-4849-8-E72-7-E91-EF602-C1-C.jpg

I did a one-pot pasta thing as an experiment. Note to self - pasta dishes are best when you cook the sauce separately from the pasta. The only exception is lasagne etc and even they involve pre cooking the sauce(s). I've known this for years, I still ignore my own advice now and again.

Considering the date, it will be Haggis, Neeps and Tatties to mark the birthday of our national bard.
Likewise me. However, I don't do tatties and, as I did when living in Scotland, put tomato puree on the haggis for a flavourful sauce. It will be washed down with German lager.

By the way, first written record of haggis being eaten is in England, in about the 1400s. Are we certain that haggis did not originate in England?

Likewise me. However, I don't do tatties and, as I did when living in Scotland, put tomato puree on the haggis for a flavourful sauce. It will be washed down with German lager.

By the way, first written record of haggis being eaten is in England, in about the 1400s. Are we certain that haggis did not originate in England?
It depends what you call haggis. I am sure that people have been pushing various bits of meat and offal into pigs' and cows' intestines and cooking it as some form of sausage for millennia. I'm equally sure that they would bulk it out with whatever vegetables or cereals they had to hand. Oats would be a favourite. The presence of nutmeg and coriander in the traditional recipe indicates that it is a post-Crusades invention, as these ingredients would not have existed in any commercially available quantity in northern Europe prior to that, so C12 on, which fits with it being recorded in the British Isles in the C13.

or, as my Scottish wife would say, ‘wash yer mouth out’.
' Hagais' or 'hagese' first record in England ,[cookbooks: Liber Cure Cocorum (Lancashire & also another; 'Hagius of a Schepe'): both c. 1430.]

Never mind tonight, today we made pizza dough for 4 week's worth of Friday night pizza, batch-cooked 8 portions of chicken paprika, 2 double portions of braised steak in gravy, and half a dozen portions of mince.

That's the freezer well stocked for the coming weeks

Duck a L'Orange (Courtesy of Gressingham), airfried potato wedges, and steamed green beans. Followed by biscuits and Applewood Smoked Cheddar.

All lubricated with a more than acceptable Morrison's Malbec. :)

Roast chicken by the look of things. I’d rather have a pizza, kebab and chips but it is what it is. I’m not in charge of things around here.

advertisement

Back