1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the best choral works to listen to?

Discussion in 'music' started by madscientist, Nov 19, 2019.

1. madscientist

madscientist pfm Member

Having been seduced by some of the choral passages that Steven Wilson and Talk Talk amongst others have employed on some of their work to great effect (IMHO) can anyone recommend some choral pieces that may be worth investigating?

2. Michael J

Michael J pfm Member

I think Mozart's Requiem might be near the top of the list.

3. herb

herb music live

Verdi's Requiem is pretty good too

4. robs

robs pfm Member

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Live ones :)

6. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

KrisW likes this.
  7. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

If you're coming from rock (apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick, you could be a massive jazz scholar!), then both Mahler's 2nd and 8th, have a wide variety of solo through to massed choir with orchestra.
    Everyone NEEDS to have a copy of Beethoven's 9th.

These are generally large scale pieces, moving down in scale, Bach wrote 200 odd cantantas; I haven't yet heard one I don't like and I'm a Stooges fan.

Moving down in scale again, to much simpler arrangements and more sparse instrumental accompaniment, you could try some Hildegard of Bingen, lots of recordings out there but I'm very fond of the Emma Kirkby/Christopher Page, "A feather on the breath of God".

8. madscientist

madscientist pfm Member

Thanks guys, i really like Lux Aeterna out of those recommendations

9. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

10. springer

springer pfm Member

11. Bill Colledge

Bill Colledge pfm Member

Stravinsky. Symphony of Psalms.

The version conducted by Stravinsky is the best IMO.

Bill

12. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

So much to choose from. Brahms requiem would be fairly high up on my list.

13. Fulci

Fulci pfm Member

Magma

clifftaylor likes this.
  14. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

Since nobody’s mentioned it, Faure’s “Requiem”; a bit “Spirit Of Eden”-ish in places, now I come to think of it.

KrisW likes this.
  15. KrisW

KrisW Member

You've probably heard the György Ligeti "Lux Aeterna" before - it's one of the composer's three pieces to be featured in the film 2001: A Space Oddysey. Being Kubrick, however, he didn't bother to ask for permission from the composer, who was slightly annoyed at not being asked first and having his music jumbled up with Strauss and other composers, and very annoyed to discover that Kubrick had electronically processed one of the three recordings to alter its sound.

That Ligeti is part of his Requiem mass, and those are usually a good place to start for choral music. Mozart, Vivaldi and Fauré are all fantastic pieces of music... actually, any Requiem by a good composer is worth a listen - doing a Requiem mass was seen as the pinnacle of a choral composer's career.

That's part of the problem with choral music - because there's so many settings of the same text, the titles aren't that helpful: there's probably over a hundred settings of the Magnificat text, so you need to know the composers too (and some have done it more than once).

Suggestions:

Antonio Vivaldi - "Et Misericordia eius" from Magnificat (actually, the whole Magnificat is only 15 minutes). Also, his "Gloria" (a standalone piece) is good.

Richard Wagner - "Beglückt darf nun ..." (the Pilgrims' chorus) from Tannhäuser (the standalone arrangement, rather than the one from the opera; Wagner kind of buries this, the best tune of the whole opera, in the background in the original opera).

For more modern composers, try Arvo Pärt (Magnificat), Eric Whitacre (Lux Arumque), Ola Gjielo (Spheres, or Northern Lights)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019