advertisement

What amp can I get for under £100

Sovereign

pfm Member
Can anyone help, a good friend of mine is desperate for a cheap hifi amp for under £100
He just wants to plug hi iPhone Into it.
I wouldn't have a clue where to start.
Many thanks

Suggest to him that he lobs himself into a richer sounds place and grab the best they have for that price.

On a good day he could get a decent enough pair of speakers too for a fraction more.

Agree with Arthur.
Unless the chap is into audio kit as a hobby, avoid vintage amplifiers as they will all likely require some attention.

Richer have a couple of Cambridge amps at £79 & £119 that will do just fine connected to an iPod/Phone.

Check out the richer sounds clearance section - you can check online and in store. Some fab stuff there for such little money.

I have not seen inside it, but would bet my gonads that the Cambridge Topaz (£70) Is an LM3886 chip-amp (they used these in the 340 something). Very nice looking amp and the LM3886 makes a nice amp IMO.

I have a T-amp (chip amp) from Ebay and it is pretty good - not best since sliced bread...
It's 20W but read that as 6W really. With inefficient speakers it will start to clip apparently
I am using it on efficient 105+dB 5 way horn speakers and it works pretty well.
For extra magic I use the KT88 valve amp when the mood takes me. For CD / general streaming listening the T-amp is ok.
Still toying with idea of using 5 and a digi crossover system going active...

They only have one input so a switch box of some kind for multi inputs would be needed. I use my TVC and leave the t-amp turned full up on it's vol pot.

I've got a decent-ish Marantz amp in the cellar, PM6010SE i think. Solid sounding, barely used to be honest it was the GF's stereo before I moved back in with her. 5 years old i think, spotless condition.

£50 to yuo squire

advertisement

Back