advertisement

What’s the difference between a programmable and an adjustable bench power supply?

Speaking professionally, a lot of ££.
Programmable, to me, means an ability to set things like ramp rates to reach either a certain I of V. Adjustable just means set a V and/or I, though more usually just V, and switch on, job done.

programmable usually means controlled by a computer connected to the power supply and no need to touch any knobs or dials on the power supply to change anything (either serial, IEEE or USB port)

If the PS itself is programmable, it needs connection to nothing. Certainly all of the industrial programmable supplies that I have used are exactly that - programmable, although they were often connected to a PC to download data, and in some cases, to start the PS's program running.

At a simpler level of description - 'programmable' supplies essentially use a serial-input DAC to provide the internal reference voltage, so the supply output voltage can follow any function or test programme you like, pre-set on the front panel or more usually, driven externally via an interface.

It's primarily a benefit to production and dev/production testing regimes, far more than any DIY use ( for which a dumb psu with or without a potentiometer, or perhaps a big resistor and a bit of low cunning, will usually suffice)

As others have said you don't need a programmable supply. Much more important is that it can cover the range of voltage and current that you envisage needing, has the right number of outputs, has adjustable current limiting and then there is whether it's switch mode or linear... many (most) are switch mode today and whilst they seem to have it generally sussed I prefer linear for ultimate low noise on the outputs. If using it for testing sensitive things like phono stages then you may want to check out noise even if it's linear. Personally I'd go second hand linear supply from a reputable make.

advertisement

Back