advertisement

What’s happened? Posting pics from Photobucket.

Flickr is a bit of a PITA on iOS as the app is utter shit, yet you need the app to upload to Flickr. The way I use it, which clearly won’t be for everyone, is I have the app on my iPhone so I can upload (the iPhone is my main camera), but I don’t have the app installed on my iPad and I link from that using the rather better Flickr website (bent up arrow thingy, select BB Code, copy and paste the whole lot into your post, i.e. don’t use the ‘image button’ here).

The whole thing is a real pain, in some ways I’d like to host images here as I really like them, but the costs would eat hugely into what is only a fairly modest income the site generates and it would open me up to a whole world of GDPR/personal info pain. It really isn’t doable this side of making the site a highly commercial operation with paid subscriptions etc, registering as a limited company etc etc.

PS The reason the Photobucket links are not working is they are linking to a .html page or trying to embed HTML. Why sites such as Pistonheads would allow this is frankly beyond me as it is a massive security flaw (if a site allows users to embed HTML code it is basically wide open for all kinds of malware!).

I moved over to Flickr some time ago and it’s fine for me. Photobucket did back-track somewhat though, because previously hosted pictures that they had blocked, in an effort to force you to subscribe, suddenly reappeared, but with ‘proudly hosted by Photobucket’ on them.

Must admit, I haven’t tried Flickr on IOS though.

I moved over to Flickr some time ago and it’s fine for me. Photobucket did back-track somewhat though, because previously hosted pictures that they had blocked, in an effort to force you to subscribe, suddenly reappeared, but with ‘proudly hosted by Photobucket’ on them.

But if the only way for me to use flikr is to do the image share from an iPad or larger, it’s a non-starter.

Well, it appears that size does matter. A few weeks ago the image would resize ok for PFM from photobucket. Now it seems that feature isn’t working and oversized images are shown as the red x.

I’ve posted an image into the Portrait competition, and it works with a resolution of 800 on the longest side. Must look rubbish on a 32” monitor!

I can’t for the life of me find the resize setting here, but IIRC it is 1024px largest dimension. Which is ideal IMO. We need stuff big enough to see properly but not so big folk are afraid of clicking on pages using phones etc where there is a monthly data allowance.

advertisement

Back