advertisement

What’s Going On at 50!!

gavreid

Pretty Words...
This is another worthy of a thread. One of the true greats and it's still growing in importance I feel.

1453.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...vin-gaye-masterpiece-is-still-so-true-to-life

I didn't catch it, but R4 had at least one programme "disecting" it, in the best possible way. I would guess that it is well worth a hunt in the schedules, and a listen.

Being someone who listens to the voice rather than lyrics, a very great deal of the content had completely passed me by.

I have the Abbey Road Half Speed Master which is really nice, and includes the Detroit Mix. It’s the best of the various copies I’ve had over the years, the original pressing I had was a quite noisy, but it was only a quid out of a charity shop!

Side 1 I give 11 out of 10.
Side 2 I give 9 out of 10. (too short, not enough tracks and Right On is padded out IMO).
So that's 20 out of 20.
As brilliant and as relevant (sadly) as when it was freshly minted and, cliche though it is, demands to be in every popular music Lover's Top 5...or frankly you have cloth ears and you won't be getting invited round here again.
In one of those pointless debates I'd take Marvin over Stevie just for this towering achievement alone.

Heard a US 1st press at a vinyl night in VG condition and it slayed my 80's repress in Exc.

What versions do you all have or recommend?

UK 1st press here and I’ve never felt any need to improve on it. One of my favourite albums, just a timeless classic. I’d love to find a mint US 1st press to compare it to though. I’ve got what I think is the first CD remastering (Discogs) and it sounds fine to me.

Great album - a timeless classic. Had the LP when it was released (sadly sold many years ago and now looking at silly prices fore a 1st pressing in VGC) and currently own the MoFi SACD and and the Abbey Road Half Speed master. looking forward to the forthcoming “Sessions” box set.

A near perfect record. In some ways this does for 60's soul what Kind of Blue did for 50s jazz. ( I know it was released in '71 - hence the 50th etc - but you know what I mean...)

Just another record I've never really got around to hearing, on the long list of many others I'll eventually get around to.

For years as young un I listened to this just enjoying the sound, wasn’t till in my thirties I came to understand its context and message.

advertisement

Back