advertisement

Wharfedale Linton 3XP - opinions please

frayededges

Second flat rock on the left
I'm going to go and listen to a pair of these on Thursday - but would welcome any opinions of these speakers, and what I should be looking for when I review them.

Is £25 a fair price?

well I liked my denton 2xp's which was its little bro (which I sold for £35- mint ones). detail absent to modern speakers std, but well balanced sound/ good quality & fun with bright cdp's. £25 is pretty good surely, if in good condition.

My father has been using 3XPs in his main system for 25 years and is now using 3 pairs as part of his 7.1 setup. As has been described they aren't the last word in detail or bass oomph but instead are very pleasant and non-fatiguing. They are pretty sturdily built and can take a lot of abuse so if there is nothing _obviously_ wrong you should be OK. There are hard plastic surrounds on one of the drivers (bass or mid i cant remember) that came off my father's original pair but it had no affect whatsoever on the sound and was easily reglued anyway. £25 is a fair price for an average pair of 3XPs.

As a by the way they work well with just about any amp but are, imho, better suited to "chunky" Japanese amps than "bouncy" British kit.

I would say listen to them if your mind is set but honestly Wharfedale Diamonds are sooooo much better for about the same money. They are fabulous little speakers.......especially the early ones They hold there own at normal levels with my Tannoys....... bass excepted of course. In many ways they are more detailed and transparent

I sometimes wonder if the pair I have are freaks:D

The rise and rise of British Bextrene had completely outclassed the Wharfedales of this period and even the higher caste Leak speakers related to them didn't do very well (the big 2075's weren't bad as I remember though).

What you should be looking at is kef Chorales, Corelli's or mk1 Cresta's/Celestes, or possibly the endearingly large three way Concerto's, this latter used to have a crossover update by Wilmslow Audio. The B&W DM1, DM2A or DM4 are lovely stand-mounters on a modern system.

If you like you can have my xp2s for free, bit battered and you would have to collect from central london.

I would say listen to them if your mind is set but honestly Wharfedale Diamonds are sooooo much better for about the same money. They are fabulous little speakers.......especially the early ones They hold there own at normal levels with my Tannoys....... bass excepted of course. In many ways they are more detailed and transparent

I sometimes wonder if the pair I have are freaks:D

I'll second that. Early Diamonds are superb... Martyn Miles .

I didn't, actually. I didn't find them to offer anything over the kit I've got, and found their condition to be a bit... distressed. But I think I've found another pair of far more interesting speakers. There will be a thread shortly :D

advertisement

Back