advertisement

Wharfdale Elysian 2?

Terrible comparison compounded by the posts that followed. Skoda required VW to get them where they are today didn’t they? Did you own a Skoda in the 80’s? Nice was it?

No, I don’t think so. A rough patch? That’s very generous of you considering the timescales involved and the quantity or rather the lack of quantity of excellent products, that’s how they should be judged isn’t it?

Im afraid we all practice brand snobbery from your website choices to petrol, bread, coffee and literally countless other things, are you suggesting you don’t succumb to branding?

My wife and daughter in law both drive Skoda Octavia, I purchased the daughter in laws car for her. Not too sure what all this Skoda nonsense is....

Brands fight hard for their reputations and consistency of products, a house sound, build, features etc. I prefer to buy products from companies that produce excellent products consistently if at all possible.

Some brands earn their reputations, Wharfdale have worked extremely hard at being mediocre and pulled it off very successfully.

Wharfdales Diamond 220 model just got recommended on ASR as well;)
Then VW had a problem because the Skodas they initiated became better reviewed and more reliable than their own.

Terrible comparison compounded by the posts that followed. Skoda required VW to get them where they are today didn’t they? Did you own a Skoda in the 80’s? Nice was it?

No, I don’t think so. A rough patch? That’s very generous of you considering the timescales involved and the quantity or rather the lack of quantity of excellent products, that’s how they should be judged isn’t it?

Im afraid we all practice brand snobbery from your website choices to petrol, bread, coffee and literally countless other things, are you suggesting you don’t succumb to branding?

My wife and daughter in law both drive Skoda Octavia, I purchased the daughter in laws car for her. Not too sure what all this Skoda nonsense is....

Brands fight hard for their reputations and consistency of products, a house sound, build, features etc. I prefer to buy products from companies that produce excellent products consistently if at all possible.

Some brands earn their reputations, Wharfdale have worked extremely hard at being mediocre and pulled it off very successfully.

Wharfdales Diamond 220 model just got recommended on ASR as well;)
My future son in law just bought some 230s for his system. Nice speakers.Amazing what can be done on a budget.They cost him £299.

I'm not anti Chinese stuff as a matter of course. But couldn't they just make stuff that looks more, dare I say it, British.

I mean, it's obvious that they are crashing into that market. Brands like Rogers, Tannoy, MA, MF, Proac, etc etc, had that down pat.

If you're going to copy stuff, you just need to do it right.

I don't give a **** as I'm quite happy with speakers that are 30 or more years old.

A lot of the new stuff just looks crass to me.
Sounds s**t too.

Wharfedale 220 was recently measured for performance on audioscienceforum and got favorable comments for both sound and measured value at the given pricepoint.

I must've dropped lucky with my Wharfedale Lintons.
They sound great, really great in fact
And more importantly I never tire of listening to them, and at the moment I'm listening to them a lot
They're the first pair of Wharfedales I've owned and I'll admit I wasn't aware of the companies previous offerings good or bad

I've never understood brand / badge snobbery either but if a company's reputation is damaged because of a history of poor products this can take some repairing

Wharfedale 220 was recently measured for performance on audioscienceforum and got favorable comments for both sound and measured value at the given pricepoint.

Audioscienceforum ?
Never heard of and
Not providing any further appetite for me.

Their tests showed that Wharfedale have made a speaker with no obvious technical deficiencies. Far too many "HiEnd" speakers measure very oddly indeed. You are often buying an effects box that may or may not suit your taste in the long term.

Old Wharfedale were not too bad either, their main sin back then was being sold in Comet

Their tests showed that Wharfedale have made a speaker with no obvious technical deficiencies. Far too many "HiEnd" speakers measure very oddly indeed. You are often buying an effects box that may or may not suit your taste in the long term.

Old Wharfedale were not too bad either, their main sin back then was being sold in Comet
Like Naim being sold at Curry’s or RS.

They look a fair bit like the Whardale EVO's to me (although the EVO's look better) obviously the Elysian speakers are bigger. I think the should be applauded for making something a bit different instead of the normal two-ways.

bBhcZGSjpBwdZ4NPEKEpGD.jpg

The EVO 4.4 are £1200, yes that's for the pair! they are the same sort of weight as similar size speakers from PMC and ProAc, but £4k less in Price, is the SQ as good perhaps not (i think some one on here a pair of the smaller EVO's and thought they weren't that good), but it's something different i suppose.

Here's Kevin discussing the Lintons...have a look at the second video if you just think he's just an amusing salesman... He's the real deal. Amazing :)

What I meant is that no matter how well built or engineered a box speaker is, it is still a box and therefore constrained by this design. It’s only when I heard MLS and then my own Maggies that I heard a sound truly liberated from the constraints of the box design.

advertisement

Back