advertisement

West Indies in England 2017

Jonathan Ribee

Unavailable at present
Well. Day night. Exciting. And apparently the latest stage in allowing every promising top order batsman in England fail miserably before the The Ashes! :)

Who is next? Queue here.

How England batsmen from the past must be looking on and shaking their heads thinking Holding, Roberts, Daniels, Garner, Croft, Ambrose, Patterson, Walsh...

I've got me pads ready.

Another Yorkshireman playing for England this year? Between T20, One Day, tests and The Lions at one time or another England has been represented by...

Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Plunkett, Rashid and Willey.

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

We can't lose you as well. Go to Headingley instead.

Another Yorkshireman playing for England this year? Between T20, One Day, tests and The Lions at one time or another England has been represented by...

Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Plunkett, Rashid and Willey.

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

We can't lose you as well. Go to Headingley instead.

Adam Lyth going berserk in the T20 at the moment.....129 not out off 60 balls!

Finally out for 161 off 73 balls. Awesome.

It was the Windies team tour in the long hot summer of 76 that turned me on to cricket - the sex pistols had a similar impact on me later in the year, Clive Lloyd was punk!

Where are we now? Packaged pop = T20, and the weathers shit

in 1998 visiting the windies and speaking to locals,they said that all the kids interest at school level had slumped ,they wanted to be basket ball players. the golden years have gone. We were lucky to see most of them playing over here.

One of the things that have now been lost from WI cricket is the Oval Test Match, even when one has been played it is now a mere shadow of the past, it used to be like a West Indies home match in south London.

The solution is with the selectors.

If this was about football and a player had two bad games and was dropped there would be 100's of new players in each football team, playing a game or two then being dropped.

Playing test cricket is like any other job, it takes time to get trained up to that level.

They need to select three players and keep them there for a year or two, that way they will be able to learn test cricket over a period of time and become better.

Yes they will lose a few games, but over the period of that year or two the three will get better, getting dropped just makes the next hopefuls in line feel like they are losers before they start, they will be programmed to fail before they even start.

Dropping someone just because they fail once or twice is the wrong way, how many times has Cook or Root been out for a small score, quite often, but they don't drop them because they know they have reached a level of skill that every so often they will play a great innings, backed up by middle order batsmen who when Cook and Root fail add enough to keep the side in the game.

Ask yourself this, how long did it take you to learn your job to a standard that you could do it without making mistakes, it's called on the job training, or does it not apply to cricket?

Dropping someone just because they fail once or twice is the wrong way, how many times has Cook or Root been out for a small score, quite often, but they don't drop them because they know they have reached a level of skill that every so often they will play a great innings, backed up by middle order batsmen who when Cook and Root fail add enough to keep the side in the game.

I agree. I would add:-

- It's not quire like learning the job from scratch. More like performing at a different level. They have the opportunity because they are good batsmen. Becoming captain is like a work promotion - perform and now manage including managing people who do things you can't do. Moving to internationals is just suddenly having to deal with competitors who are all as good as and/or better than you are.

- Being dropped for a run of bad scores that seems to be linked to a problem with technique is not a bad thing. Go fix the problem in an environment that is a bit easier to work with.

- The different formats (T20, one day and first class) do add a complication. Moving onto the national test team after a T20 tournament must be a lot more mind blowing than doing it after county championship games.

Anyway - not much of a contest so far.

It was the Windies team tour in the long hot summer of 76 that turned me on to cricket - the sex pistols had a similar impact on me later in the year, Clive Lloyd was punk!

My first season watching cricket too. We had just got a colour telly and being on school hols you could literally watch all day. What a summer :cool:

It is a shame you now have to pay to watch all , however this must be one of the quickest most one sided test in recent years !

These things go in cycles as well, remember a tonking we got about 1994 I guess. Remember setting off from Huddersfield just as England went out to bat against the Windies, by the time I got to,Holmfirth it was looking dodgy, by the time I was home in Manchester they were all out for 47 if I recall. We've come a long way since then.

advertisement

Back