advertisement

Well Tempered Amadeus

I will try to do just that but of course comments form ex-rega owners might be useful too :).

OK. I did the demo a couple of years ago and preferred the WTA by quite a margin. The inky black backgrounds and the decks ability to get right into the music, with a neutral master tape like quality I found beguiling. I don't even think about upgrading my TT anymore. Spend some time setting up the WTA - goo/cup/arm height take a bit of tweaking...

Have owned both , ended up keeping the P9

Regards

David
May I ask which cart are you using with P9? I've had AT33PTG, Apheta and XX2 and for my tastes XX2 is clearly the best or should I say it has the best overall balance in the sound with my system. Also, do you use a wall shelf for the Rega or what kind of platform do you have under it?

My Rega runs on a lightweight Ikea table , this was better than my previous Isoblue in my opinion.
The current DV20X2 I found to be much better than the previous DV20X.

rRegards

David

I agree. The 20X.. seems to have come on a lot. Its now very much worth the extra money over a 10X but before I didn't think it was.

I upgraded from a Rega P5 with a 20x2L, Groovetracer Ref. Subplatter and Rega heavy tungsten counterweight to an Amadeus GTA with the DPS and an EMT TSD-15. The Rega was a great deck, but to me the Amadeus is in a different league. Granted, it was a P5 and not a P9. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing a P9 yet.

Can anyone exaplain the differences between a standard deck, GT and GTA? Are the differences purely cosmetic, or is there more to it than that?

Also, is a DV cart essential to getting the best out of the Amadeus, or do other carts work as well?

Lefty

Why are some 'well tempered' guys so desperate to claim their decks are better than all others? There's plenty of good decks out there,,, all of them the preferred choices of equally informed buyers. There is no such thing as a deck that 'sees off all rivals''. It's about choice not absolutes. Why not just agree that you like your own choice, without the slagging off of all 'rivals.'?
It can be done.

GT is shiny metal plinth, GTA is non-shiny metal, standard Amadeus is not metal and has an extra bit of wood for it to stand on if you fancy it.

I think the DV thing is just because Pear Audio distributes them both. Firebaugh argues it will work with just about anything.

I used an AT33EV with mine an it was a very good match. I'm not using the deck much at present, since getting an Omega Point 5, but I've stuck a Grado wood bodied MM on it for the moment and this is fine too. I remember Oscar, of this forum, saying that he liked the Soundsmith Carmen most but he also liked the AT33EV very much with the WTA.

By the way, paskinn, I didn't think it was better than all others. Very good though.

Still scratching my head about the no cartridge alignment business.

Why are some 'well tempered' guys so desperate to claim their decks are better than all others? There's plenty of good decks out there,,, all of them the preferred choices of equally informed buyers. There is no such thing as a deck that 'sees off all rivals''. It's about choice not absolutes. Why not just agree that you like your own choice, without the slagging off of all 'rivals.'?
It can be done.

maybe it has something to do with all the crap that finds its way into that icky silicon :D

GT is shiny metal, GTA is non-shiny metal, standard Amadeus is not metal and has an extra bit of wood for it to stand on if you fancy it.QUOTE]

Ah... thank you. Just spoken to John Burns at Pear Audio as well.

Also good to hear re: compatability with non DV carts :)

Lefty

I think the DV thing is just because Pear Audio distributes them both. Firebaugh argues it will work with just about anything.

seems to be more than a casual relationship between DV and WT: DV offer a turntable (DV 500) designed by Firebaugh.

I use a an Ortofon Cadenza Blue on my GTA and am very happy with it. The GTAa incidentally is one slab aluminium and one slab of acrylic. Any tips for getting the azimuth right, that mirror business doesn't work for me?

Azimuth seems to go out constantly as you roll the arm in the goo, but it's just a little twiddle to get it back. I do think all the propaganda about the WTA being plug and play/no set up misleading; there are plenty of things to faff about with.

I'm loving my WTA Mk II, i've had mine upgraded with the GTA black golf ball (apparently the same sound as the GTA) plus a couple of tweaks to the dc motor isolation. I have been using a virtual battery supply to power the deck, i haven't done any A/B testing with the standard wall wart yet as i'm just simply enjoying the tunz. I demoed a Gyrodec, VPI Scout and an Origin Live Calypso and this is the one for me. The dealer set it up and apart from occasionally checking the cartridge is level there's very little messing around with it. It's not quite plug and play but not too far from it. I'm running a DV XX2 in to a Sonneteer Sedley, i've only put about 30 hrs on the clock so far an it's getter by the day.

I'm loving my WTA Mk II, i've had mine upgraded with the GTA black golf ball (apparently the same sound as the GTA) plus a couple of tweaks to the dc motor isolation. I have been using a virtual battery supply to power the deck, i haven't done any A/B testing with the standard wall wart yet as i'm just simply enjoying the tunz. I demoed a Gyrodec, VPI Scout and an Origin Live Calypso and this is the one for me. The dealer set it up and apart from occasionally checking the cartridge is level there's very little messing around with it. It's not quite plug and play but not too far from it. I'm running a DV XX2 in to a Sonneteer Sedley, i've only put about 30 hrs on the clock so far an it's getter by the day.

Nice. Enjoy! The WT/DV/SH synergy is very real and not just because Pear Audio distributes them as was previously posted.

GT is shiny metal plinth, GTA is non-shiny metal, standard Amadeus is not metal and has an extra bit of wood for it to stand on if you fancy it.

I used an AT33EV with mine an it was a very good match. I'm not using the deck much at present, since getting an Omega Point 5, but I've stuck a Grado wood bodied MM on it for the moment and this is fine too. I remember Oscar, of this forum, saying that he liked the Soundsmith Carmen most but he also liked the AT33EV very much with the WTA.

By the way, paskinn, I didn't think it was better than all others. Very good though.

Still scratching my head about the no cartridge alignment business.

Hi Elephantears,

I still feel that both the AT33V and Soundsmith line of cartridges are amongst the best cartridges I've heard to date on said tables - but as mentioned elsewhere I to would've to totally agree that the WTL Line ( old and newer versions ) have a certain synergy thing going on with DV Cartridges that's quite real - but some then does it with the EMT TSD-15 SL - of late I've found these tables aren't as sensitive as some to whatever cartridge is thrown at it, maybe it has something to do with the silicon goo having enough density to allow either heavier or less massive ones depending upon how it's adjusted into the cup?.

As far as loving them, I'm on my fourth WTL designed table since 1993, and while there are maybe three tables I love equally as well ( Townshend Rock MK VII - Kuzma Stabi S w/. Stogi S Tonearm and Roksan Xerxes 20+ ), I continue to stick with what I've come to know how to get the best out of performance wise in regards to little important matters like Isolation Feet/Platforms and the likes - for the money, they're still very very very hard to beat on a purely musical level - while some brands might sound oh so differently here or there, but when it comes to having the notes related back to you in such a manner that's sounds spooky real, I question my decision not.

Be well,
o_O scar

advertisement

Back