advertisement

Well Tempered Amadeus

The tracking angle looked really wrong, but the headshell seemed firmly fixed so I measure the effective arm length. It was about 255mm when the manual says it ought to be 267. I was able to slide the arm inside the golf ball to set effective arm length to 267mm, and now the tracking angle looks correct. Worth checking.

Interesting. Will check this on mine. What reference points do you use to calculate the effective arm length?

Also worth checking the arm bridle length, mine was slightly out also. Easy to change.

Interesting. Will check this on mine. What reference points do you use to calculate the effective arm length?

I put the arm in the rest, then lay a ruler with zero lined up with the point where the bridle enters the golf ball, and measured to the stylus tip. A small looking glass helps to make sure your eye is at a right angle to the ruler when you read the stylus distance. The ruler remains parallel to the arm, obviously.

Can owners comment on this turntables silent background noise between
tracks etc. thanks phil.

This is a quality that I have never been able to quantify in any meaningful way. Frankly it doesn't even seem to me to be very important when music is playing. My ears are just as happy to filter out tape hiss as they are to filter out clicks and pops, once the music has my attention, so surface noise isn't something I listen to.

This is a quality that I have never been able to quantify in any meaningful way. Frankly it doesn't even seem to me to be very important when music is playing. My ears are just as happy to filter out tape hiss as they are to filter out clicks and pops, once the music has my attention, so surface noise isn't something I listen to.

your pm box is full

I put the arm in the rest, then lay a ruler with zero lined up with the point where the bridle enters the golf ball, and measured to the stylus tip. A small looking glass helps to make sure your eye is at a right angle to the ruler when you read the stylus distance. The ruler remains parallel to the arm, obviously.

Hi, just done this by laying the ruler between the arm and the platter, and ligned up as you suggested, but used the tip reflection in the mirror to judge the distance using a piece of paper placed at 90 degrees to the ruler. Comes out at roughly 265 mmm. I wonder how critical this is?

Can owners comment on this turntables silent background noise between
tracks etc. thanks phil.

Its not so much silent between tracks, although that too, its more that there is no coloration added by the arm/deck when playing music - you get this lovely ink black background to the music. For example, I can turn the volume up way louder with the WT than my previous deck, without any sense of distortion - just more music.

Its not so much silent between tracks, although that too, its more that there is no coloration added by the arm/deck when playing music - you get this lovely ink black background to the music. For example, I can turn the volume up way louder with the WT than my previous deck, without any sense of distortion - just more music.

That's pretty much how I would describe it too. It manages to be both effortless and relaxing, yet dramatic and thrilling all at the same time. When it gets loud you don't find yourself reaching for the remote, you just let it wash over you and dry your hair. It is a very musical deck. It doesn't get confused by complex or dynamic passages. I can't drag myself away. Listening for a checklist of hi-fi qualities is no way to assess this deck. Stick some Elgar on and wave goodbye to the next few hours.

Prepare for your hobby to change from 'upgrades' and tweaks to just music. Not as easy as you think. Still I muse with eagerness on the next cart. (Come on, you bastard wear out!)

#20 in my quest for 60 posts..

I've bought a Simplex. I also have heard an Amadeus - both with an xx2 into a P75 - I think the Simplex sounds better. The Simplex needs a good isolation platform. Actually both do, to shine. I surmise (but do not know) that its the smaller plinth and 9.5 inch arm that helps - and the lower and more direct coupling of the golf ball.

Anyways - its a lot of fun. I have a mate with a TW Acustic 3 etc etc - about $A 40k worth of table/arm/cart/phono - its spectacular. But the Simplex gets to the music for around $2k. Comprehensively beats the Rega decks I have heard - but then I don't like the Rega sound - they run to fast for me (great for rock/electronica - wanting for classical....). WTL looks like a kid's toy - but sounds like sweet music to me. Oh build quality on the simplex is ..err.. budget - but I coudn't care less what it looks like. And it takes a truckload of cart - xx2? not a problem - Benz LPS - easy as. XV-1 - absolutely. And most interesting Decca London Gold - nay bother laddie.

Cheers

As Rumpole's post implies, one of the great things about Well Tempered arms, past and present, is their cartridge friendliness. They work well with most any cartridge.

#20 in my quest for 60 posts..

I've bought a Simplex. I also have heard an Amadeus - both with an xx2 into a P75 - I think the Simplex sounds better. The Simplex needs a good isolation platform. Actually both do, to shine. I surmise (but do not know) that its the smaller plinth and 9.5 inch arm that helps - and the lower and more direct coupling of the golf ball.

Cheers

Wow that is the first I have heard suggesting the Simplex may sound better than the Amadeus. Can you give us more details on why? I'd imagine they sound very close to each other. Simplex does have the advantage of a smaller footprint for sure, but I am having trouble figuring out why it would sound better than the WTA. Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this, and in what ways the Simplex sounds better.

I've got an Amadeus with the DPS power supply in home demo at the moment. Cart used with WTA is 20X and phono stage is Rega Ios. I own a P9 so would and have used it with XX2 and Rega Ios phono stage but cannot compare the decks with same or similar cart at the moment as the XX2 is in another arm at the moment. Has anyone put a P9 against and Amadeus and what were the results? Also, has anyone compared WTA to a DPS2 or DPS2 with Bauer arm?

I've got an Amadeus with the DPS power supply in home demo at the moment. Cart used with WTA is 20X and phono stage is Rega Ios. I own a P9 so would and have used it with XX2 and Rega Ios phono stage but cannot compare the decks with same or similar cart at the moment as the XX2 is in another arm at the moment. Has anyone put a P9 against and Amadeus and what were the results? Also, has anyone compared WTA to a DPS2 or DPS2 with Bauer arm?

Why not just compare the two using your 20X - seems you are ideally placed to answer your own question.

advertisement

Back