advertisement

Well Tempered Amadeus

Hi Neil

First let me point out that I sell these, so I'll try to avoid pimping the Amadeus to you.

I'm very, very pleased with the Amadeus; it's worked perfectly from day one. The arm is a joy to use, and has handled every cartridge I've put on it, be that a Dynavector, Denon, Koetsu, Miyabi, MCBee, Transfigration etc.

Surprisingly easy to set up, considering the design, and fit / finish is very good.

Sound quality? It's difficult for me not to sound like a gushing HiFi dealer; suffice to say it's my favorite TT in the building, regardless of price. It's just such a well thought out machine, IMHO.

Give Pear Audio a call - if you're in the U.K. - and see if there's anyone near you who has one on dem.

Martin.

Martin,

Which other turntables do you have in the building? Would you suggest listening to the Amadeus as a potential upgrade to a Linn Sondek / Ekos I / Lingo I?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard

We sell Kuzma, Michell, Vpi, Rega and SME, along with Well Tempered.

I personally own a - heavily messed with - LP12, and also a Garrard 401, various Lencos, and until recently a pair of Regas.

I'm a fan of the LP12, and it's still a great TT. All I'd say is, if you feel it's time for a change, check out the Amadeus. It will sound different to your LP12, as you'd expect considering the differences in design. You may prefer it, you may not! But, it's definitely a very strong contender, and I'd personally take it over much of the vastly more expensive competition.

Martin.

Thanks for the reply Martin.

I currently have a VPI Scout downsized from a LP12/Ekos/Armageddon.

I really like the scout. It does everything very well but I do occasionally miss the involvement I got from the Linn. I do not miss the bloom.

Just wondered if this deck may give me what I am looking for?

Neil

I haven't heard it, but a friend of mine has. Prior to hearing the Amadeus, his primary source was a Well Tempered Reference. After hearing the Amadeus, he sold it. And not for financial reasons. He said the Amadeus trounced the Reference.

I too am a dealer for it, but I don't carry just "anything" . It is really good and a bit unusual. It takes the turntable in a whole new direction. Go hear one somewhere!

I have been very happy with the sound of my LP12, but having heard the Amadeus last week I think that it is time for a change, I still like the LP12 though.

It looks amazing - read a few reviews, an interview with the designer. A golf-ball? Crazy! But it obviously works very, very well indeed. How much are these UK? I can dream, at least :)

I heard the Amadeus recently and thought it to be a fine sounding turntable, very fluid and three dimensional. (Martin did the dem, I believe !)

A couple of things I did not like from a personal ownership perspective - the arm is a golf ball in open trough of silicone fluid and arm has no lift / lower device (dangerous after a glass of wine !)

So I went for the Kuzma Stabi S / Stogi S combination instead, one of the best turntables available at any price, having owned / heard many others (several LP12's, Xerxes and Xerxes 10, various Rega's, VPI Scoutmaster and a NAS amongst others).

I intend to keep the Kuzma a long time - I am enjoying a Denon DL103R on it at the moment.

One thing that I observed with the 103R - it must be played for a good 50 or 60 hours before it starts to sing. It was bit stiff and bright sounding at first, but now is sounding sweet and bouncy !

I heard the Amadeus recently and thought it to be a fine sounding turntable, very fluid and three dimensional. (Martin did the dem, I believe !)
One thing that I observed with the 103R - it must be played for a good 50 or 60 hours before it starts to sing. It was bit stiff and bright sounding at first, but now is sounding sweet and bouncy !

Is that you, Tony?

The Amadeus does come with a finger lift; I just don't fit then because I don't like the way they look. I agree with you about an arm lift though, but you soon get used to cueing by hand.

The Amadeus comes with a dust cover by the way... it's a white cardboard cover with the well tempered logo on it!

Glad to hear you're liking the 103R and the Kuzma.

Martin.

I have seen the cardboard dust cover that the Amadeus comes with, I,m sure my wife would be frilled to bits with the effect that it would have on our lounge decor.

How heavy is the damping? The old SME damping trough was so overdone you didn't need a cueing device, just hold the arm over the record and let go...

I woory about the long term effects of exposed damping troughs though, things like the old Townshend Rock ones and the aforementioned SME one get ever so clogged with dust after a few years (our house is a terrible dust trap so an exposed fluid bath is a definite no-no).

How heavy is the damping? The old SME damping trough was so overdone you didn't need a cueing device, just hold the arm over the record and let go...

not so any more, or at least not with my SME. if i did as you say, my cartridge and tone arm would bounce up and down on the record.

I heard the Amadeus last week and I have to say that I have never heard anything quite like it before. It had a Dynavector 10x5 on it, so the total cost was about £2,250 as it was the shiny version. The basic version (which apparently sounds the same) with the same cart would be under 2k.

I have heard a number of turntables in my time, including time recently with a keeled LP12 with the top Linn cartridge and the Amadeus stands head and shoulders above them all (imo, of course). To be fair, we were using Shahinian Compass speakers, which might help accentuate the benefits because the Amadeus just does that Shahinian 'thing' so well, all you want to do is keep playing music.

The rest of the system was Supernait and P75 phono stage using the 'phono enhancer' setting.

Well worth a demo, anyone interested in a deal for a lovely Gyrodec? ;)

not so any more, or at least not with my SME. if i did as you say, my cartridge and tone arm would bounce up and down on the record.

Yeah, they changed it in my time and older ones could have reducing fluid or baby oil instead as a cheap alternative.

I wanted to know if the WT arm was sufficiently self damping on a potentially fast descent.

advertisement

Back