advertisement

Well recorded Hendrix?

mikesnowdon

resU deretsigeR
I love Jimi but find most of the recordings I have heard to be really poor sound quality. Recently I was given an MP3 of 'Little Wing (acoustic version)' and its superb, really good recording.

Wat are the best recorded albums etc I should be looking for (including band of gypsies)?

The Classic Records Band Of Gypsies is damn good too, but again vinyl only. I really wish they'd done Are You Experienced as I'm missing a copy of that one.

Tony.

OK. I looked up that track on youtube and got John Mayer! I thought I had heard it before :D

My Dad has an old tape of Band of Gypsies and I remember thinking how great it sounded. Surprisingly good in fact (apart from the tape hiss). I wonder if the CD version is as good or if it has been re-mastered? (Often re-mastering can ruin the sound of a classic album in my opinion).

As a big Hendrix fan , i have been through the usual remastered/remixed "better versions" and i have found them all to be worse than the original cd releases on Polydor[West German] issues.

So much so that i have hunted out s/h copies that i missed on cd. Trouble is you may have to pay over the odds , but still worth it in my mind. Cry of Love is just so much better than the equivilent Experience Hendrix version [First Rays....]. Also most later versions mess with the tracks/add tracks that do not fit in with the overall feel of the album. The lastest Sony ones are even worse. As for Valleys of Neptune , mostly its just a collection of different takes/ early versions of songs with different names that should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Michael.

I think the first remastered cd I ever heard was a Hendrix family issue - it remains the worst cd sound I ever heard in my life and was why I didnt get into cd's until about 1995 - even now I have way more albums than cd's - I will draw a veil over the cassettes

Luckily I have all of Hendrix's vinyl from new but this thread seems to say that these are the best apart from the special cuts which are beyond my reach anyway -Great question in the OP and Im grateful for this summary of the situation.

The Jimi Hendrix - Ultimate Experience with HDCD was OK. Nowhere near as good as the two Classic Records vinyl reissues mentioned elsewhere here - both of which are now deleted, so if you considering buying them, now is the time.

both of which are now deleted

I think Classic Records itself may be deleted, unfortunately. At least that's what some vendors are saying.

OT of Hendrix:
There are a handful of really fine Classic Records jazz reissues titles that are not available on any other quality reissue series that I know of but are still available new. E.g.: Horace Silver and The Jazz Messengers (BN 1518), Johnny Griffin A Blowing Session (BN 1559), Lee Morgan Sextet (BN 1541), Hank Mobley Hank (BN 1560), Red Rodney 1957 (a great record!). If Classic Records is gone this is probably a last chance on these, unless someone else does them later.

I've scooped up all these, and the Hendrix monos.

Is that vinyl only? I'm looking for CD.
I like the SHM CD releases of Are You Experienced?, Electric Ladyland & Axis: Bold As Love.
IIHUC they were Japan only releases. I believe they are deleted so not easy to find.
However they have been reissued a couple of times, so might be again.

Folkman said:
As a big Hendrix fan , i have been through the usual remastered/remixed "better versions" and i have found them all to be worse than the original cd releases on Polydor[West German] issues.

So much so that i have hunted out s/h copies that i missed on cd. Trouble is you may have to pay over the odds , but still worth it in my mind. Cry of Love is just so much better than the equivilent Experience Hendrix version [First Rays....]. Also most later versions mess with the tracks/add tracks that do not fit in with the overall feel of the album. The lastest Sony ones are even worse. As for Valleys of Neptune , mostly its just a collection of different takes/ early versions of songs with different names that should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Michael.
What he said.

I got a complete set of Russian pressed Hendrix CD's from a seller called feofan a few years back for about 30 Quid

Sound quality is excellent

The original Polydors are where it's at with CD, they sound pretty good.

Though bizarrely the first fat jewel case 2xCD issue of Electric Ladyland follows the original vinyl autochanger-compatible track sequence where disk one has sides 1 & 3 and disc two sides 2 & 4!

Tony.

The original Polydors are where it's at with CD, they sound pretty good.
I have this, but prefer my SHM CD.

Though bizarrely the first fat jewel case 2xCD issue of Electric Ladyland follows the original vinyl autochanger-compatible track sequence where disk one has sides 1 & 3 and disc two sides 2 & 4!

Tony.
Confused the hell out of me when I got my SHM CD!

Mercifully I had lost the autochanger by the time I got my vinyl Electric Ladyland - but I was young enough to be shocked by the inner cover - the days before photoshop - ahem!

The W.German Polydor 2-disc fatboy edition of Electric Ladyland has the best sound. Consequently I have used it to compile a single disc CDR (with the tracks in the correct sequence). This version wipes the floor with the later remasters.

I have most of his work .... the best recorded/produced is 'Are You Experienced?'

second to that is Band of Gypsies which is a very close 2nd and sounds awesome on a decent hifi ... soundstage is very good

advertisement

Back