advertisement

Welcome to the fascist state

Maybe I’ve misinterpreted something.

Sorry. I’ll explain more clearly. The police were there probably as a result of a Section 8 Warrant authorised by a magistrate. The owner/occupier of the premises arrived whilst that warrant was being executed?

Sorry. I’ll explain more clearly. The police were there probably as a result of a Section 8 Warrant authorised by a magistrate. The owner/occupier of the premises arrived whilst that warrant was being executed?
But how did the act of the owner arriving lead to him being arrested and charged with assault and dangerous driving when he pulled up to the gate, stopped, and was hauled off his bike?

But how did the act of the owner arriving lead to him being arrested and charged with assault and dangerous driving when he pulled up to the gate, stopped, and was hauled off his bike?

"Assault, as distinct from battery, can be committed by an act indicating an intention to use unlawful violence against the person of another " (https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/offences-against-person-incorporating-charging-standard).

If you watch the video, the rider appears to start to move the bike forward towards the policeman. Whether intentional or not (impossible to tell from the clip - no sound makes context difficult) the police had a split second to act; if in doubt it is assumed there is a risk of injury to their officers and the rider so he was taken off the bike to stop him and arrested. Once arrested, it can be ascertained in slow time whether his action was intentional or accidental and dealt with accordingly.

Just to be clear, not condoning the police action nor supporting the chap on the bike, just outlining what might explain what went on.

This is where several factors come into play, and to be honest whether its worth mentioning them? IE what Seeker posted above? This is normally a rabbit hole for me, as I try to explain stuff like this and then get varying degrees of responses...:(

Its worth reading up on the difference between 'Assault' and 'Battery". Assault is the ''immediate apprehension of unlawful violence', whilst 'battery' is the 'infliction of unlawful force', or similar. Lots on the net about both.

FWIW I've had both cars and bikes driven at me. S35 OATP Act fits a suitable charge for this type of offence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causing_bodily_harm_by_wanton_or_furious_driving

Note it mentions neglect as well as wilfulness...

I used to run a Charge Unit, in a former supervisory role, before going onto community stuff.

Also worth researching 'causal link' in such circumstances...

This is where several factors come into play, and to be honest whether its worth mentioning them? IE what Seeker posted above? This is normally a rabbit hole for me, as I try to explain stuff like this and then get varying degrees of responses...:(

Its worth reading up on the difference between 'Assault' and 'Battery". Assault is the ''immediate apprehension of unlawful violence', whilst 'battery' is the 'infliction of unlawful force', or similar. Lots on the net about both.

FWIW I've had both cars and bikes driven at me. S35 OATP Act fits a suitable charge for this type of offence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causing_bodily_harm_by_wanton_or_furious_driving

Note it mentions neglect as well as wilfulness...

I used to run a Charge Unit, in a former supervisory role, before going onto community stuff.

Also worth researching 'causal link' in such circumstances...
Yes, as @Seeker_UK pointed out, without sound it’s impossible to tell if rider of bike was revving in an aggressive manner, or what he was saying, so I’ll wind my initial response in on this one…

….still not sure why a sculpture should attract such anger mind

A good job they aren't trying to put up a modern art sculpture or anything like that. Otherwise the police might turn up...

Devil in the detail - similar requirements to S60POA, possibly.

I recall reading a while back that Croydon made real headway in reducing teenage knife crime (after having the worst statistics in London) - and that it was largely due to increased stop and search. So in that sense it does work.

The problem is S&S does nothing to address the reasons why children are engaged in such horrific violence. Unfortunately that takes a bit more work and results take time. The Violence Reduction Unit in Glasgow shows that it can be done though through education, challenging gang culture and providing opportunity: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45572691

The problem is S&S does nothing to address the reasons why children are engaged in such horrific violence. Unfortunately that takes a bit more work and results take time. The Violence Reduction Unit in Glasgow shows that it can be done though through education, challenging gang culture and providing opportunity: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45572691

Agreed. I work for a charity looking to get 9-11 year olds to reflect on the risks and consequences of lots of different risky situations, including knife crime.

advertisement

Back