advertisement

Weiss DAC 202 >> Avondale M130 - Input impedance and set up?

Damas

pfm Member
I have a Weiss DAC as pre-amplifier connected to M130s. The DAC has four output settings to match amplifier impedance. Can anyone confirm the impedance for these amps?

The manual defines four output settings for XLR, RCA and headphone. The options menu however only has settings for XLR and headphone. I assume (because the volume does change) that the XLR setting is for both RCA and XLR and the numbers are different because of the different output impedance of the two connectors. Is this right?

Thanks

Paul

First off I have my DAC 202 directly plugged into my power amps for several years now and it works fine.

To answer your Q yes both outputs are active. I assume that you'll be using RCA if so start with the lowest output at 0.53V (1.06V) and then you can use the volume control on the DAC.

For safety turn on the DAC 202 first and set volume low at around -20dB then switch on the amps. Play some music and adjust volume. I find that ripped music can have a vast range some are very loud at -18dB whilst other need to be turned up to around -2dB for a similar volume. The latter tend to be classical and choral/opera.

Switch off in reverse order as may save your speakers and ears!

Cheers,

DV

Use the variable analogue output, which allows you to use the minimum of the digital attenuation, although the digital attenuation of the Weiss is properly dithered, it is still good practise to use as little digital attenuation as possible.
Keith.

Thanks for these, especially the last tip. First inclination was to go as high as possible, hadn't thought of that.

advertisement

Back