advertisement

Weird flickr view count madness!!

miktec

retired
I have two flickr accounts - did have more but I cut back :rolleyes:

One I use for tech stuff (hifi etc) - usually for posting here.
The other I've had since 2010 and is mostly abstracts, macros and oddballs .. its my fun account. I don't post much on it any more - maybe once a fortnight ... usually less.

The view count has always been pretty low - about 20 to 50 for recent images if I post them to a few groups and if the wind is in the right direction, into the low hundreds for ones that have been there years.

I looked in tonight and one I posted on 21 Oct (of a cafeteria floor!) has had 6853 views FFS !!!
Other recent ones have views in the hundreds ...

Looking through the whole stream there are now a fair few with multiple thousand views :confused:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikmas101/

Am I being targeted by the Russians ???
Should I be very afraid ?????
Would a tin foil hat be recommended :D

The post count on mine usually runs at 300-400 a day but can peak at several thousand for a day it’s spread out through my photos not one in particular, beats me why.

Pete

I have a photo called Wall that gets lots of views it comes up in the first few results if you search for wall (just did a wall search and it’s first) it’s nearly my most viewed photo. It’s only got 27 likes.

Pete

I have a photo called Wall that gets lots of views it comes up in the first few results if you search for wall (just did a wall search and it’s first) it’s nearly my most viewed photo. It’s only got 27 likes.

Pete

Yep - 'likes' is a different story, usually around 12 to 15, occasionally reaching the giddy 20s.

I'm wondering if the high view counts are just the work of bots picking randomly or hitting on certain words in the titles o_O
I read on the flickr help forum that Google search results doesn't affect the view count - the images have to actually be opened to register?

Last edited:
Best I can manage is 175 views for a photo of my lad. Can't think why it is so popular?.....

50714149002_086c92b22e_b.jpg

Sorted - came across this admin response (from two weeks ago) on the flickr forum:

"Thanks for the continued reports.
We’ve identified an issue preventing stats on particular images from being processed correctly, resulting in inaccurate counts being shown on the photo page.
Our engineers are aware of the issue and working on a resolution & understand the frustration & confusion this bug is causing.
We also realize how the inaccuracy here affects the reliability of features such as view counts which rely on surfacing accurate data.
We’ll be sure to update this thread once we have any major updates & we apologize for the inconvenience this causes in the meantime."

Last edited:

advertisement

Back