advertisement

Weird Blues - Son Of Dave: O2

stephen h

Has anyone else heard the "Son Of Dave" album O2?

It's about the strangest album I've heard in a long time.

The best way I can think of describing it is Bobby McFerrin crossed with Rolf Harris playing Harmonica Blues.

There is a really intriguing version of Mannish Boy sung in an alarming falsetto with looped "human beatbox" percussion, growls, yelps, whistles and all sorts of other sounds thrown in for good measure.

The recording is really rough and ready and sounds incredibly gritty in places. Half way through the album there are a couple of much slicker tracks (one featuring Martina Topley Bird).

All in all, it's one I'd certainly recomend you try and listen to if you get the chance.

It goes into the strange but strangley likeable pile!

Steve H.

I think he might have been on Jools a while ago, if its the guy I'm thinking of he dresses the part, plays guitar but uses loads of samplers and samples guitar loops, foot stamps and vocal snippets as he goes along and builds the track up. Cool idea.

I didn't catch that Jools show but it sounds right! 50's 3 piece suit and two-tone shoes?

What did you think of him?

Sounds like the guy, bloody good I thought. Wasn't sure if the record would be as good as watching him with all the pedals etc. but may check it out when pay day comes around.

Cheers Anex. I thought he might be good live.

I've done a bit more digging online and it turns out it's Ben Darvill who used to be in Crash Test Dummies. There are samples to listen to on his website (www.sonofdave.com) so you can try before you buy!
The record might not be everyones cup of tea, so probably best to listen first.

Regards,
Steve.

advertisement

Back