advertisement

Web use of an Image - any ideas on what a realistic price would be?

mentalp

pfm Member
I've been approached by someone wanting to use one of my images for a EU project related website.
I will retain physical possession of the tranny and copyright and will be credited for any use. They will require my consent to redistribute, sell or manipulate the image.
However the term used is for exclusive rights and mention is made of an image resolution requirement sufficient for "print, websites and presentations"

Is there anyone with experience in this area who could give me an indication of what a realistic price for this would be?
The initial amount they have quoted is not that high and whilst I'm of the opinion that something is better than nothing (particularly in my current boracic state) - I'd like to be sure that they're not completely taking the piss.
Thanks
Pete

No idea, but I suspect the amount is depressingly small. Mousey might know, I think he's a pro photographer.

If it's the one of me, charge them double.

-- Ian

If I were you i'd go to one of the online clipart sites and try and find a similar image and try and buy similar use of it - use this as a guide price for your own work.

Cesare

I think these people trawl flickr looking for nice pictures to give lowball offers to save money on stock/microstock. One suspects if you ask for much more they will just go find another.

I know someone who should know though (a picture editor) and have asked him, although he is very busy and tend to answer questions about a week too late.

BTW Pete -- you live in fashionable North London and you are looking for sitters? If you want to make some *cough* cash in hand you need to get yourself into the take some nice arty pics of my priviliged yuppie child with her PR mum and Broker Dad game. Two birds with one stone as it were.

I've bought A4 recent cover images for a client from Getty from about £300 (complete ripoff), from Alamy Images for about £150, and from iStock.com for about £20, so prices are very variable.

pete i've got a friend with *cough* a fair amount of copyright experience, if you want him to check the contract beforehand let me know.

if it's one of me, charge triple :)

Hello,

$250.00 to $500.00 is what the going rate in the U.S. is.

in the end it depends on usage.

flickr is the new mine for stock photography. IMHO its not just that its a lowball market, the photography is by far better than most of the
stock sites. It will change how advertising looks, and then everyone will go back to ripping off 'fine' art for free!

regards

cds

Mousey - thanks for the message.

Yes - at least they're offering to pay - at least one of my contacts on flickr has had an image stolen and used for a book jacket without her permission.

I use iStockPhoto, and rarely have to pay more than a few dollars for a web-resolution, unrestricted use image. I can't recommend iStockPhoto highly enough - though from a photographer perspective you'd have to sell a lot of licenses through them to make any real money...

Edit: missed the bit about 'exclusive rights' - in which case you can forget about iStockPhoto as it's not the answer, great though it is for finding good images for web and brochure work.

advertisement

Back