advertisement

Way to go Greta

Marky,

It’s hardly a novel observation on my part, but as long as it’s profitable to ruin the planet, someone will be pleased to pursue a business opportunity to ruin the planet.

Joe

I see the Met Police have banned Extinction Rebellion protests from London. You'd think Sadiq Khan and his bunch of merry thieving councils would have been supportive of such a cause given their belief in lessening pollution across the capital, anyone would think they weren't serious and just saw it as a way of raising more money for their stupid transport schemes for the few and the likes ;)

Technology can't fix what's broken, because what's broken is our entire system..

smartphone-addiction2_3.jpg

-

Marky,

It’s hardly a novel observation on my part, but as long as it’s profitable to ruin the planet, someone will be pleased to pursue a business opportunity to ruin the planet.

Joe
Or, as Nikita Khruschev famously put it, when it came time to hang the last capitalist, the capitalist would sell him the rope.

guest,

Isn't methane compressed natural gas that burns clean?

This is the graph I was looking for a while ago but was unsuccessful until today.

EG2_yimUEAIZwUR.jpg

Methane is a greenhouse gas, and a potent one at that, but its half life is much shorter than CO2's. The graph also explains why we need to curb CO2 emissions. Its effects linger for decades, centuries really.

Joe

The bit about 'some heat is left, stored in the oceans' - was predicated on the oceans not being to the brim with stored heat now!

Marky,

In talking about the increasing media coverage of our collective predicament yesterday with someone, we came to what I'm sure will be an unpopular conclusion regarding the situation and this thread topic - Greta Thunberg (is that pronounced 'tune-bear'?) - and that amounted to, in short, someone had to be born and grow up in the bill has come due stage, and the only reason the world knows who Greta Thunberg is boils down to what that bill is for.

And so it seems that avoiding a circular firing squad of blame that comes back around to the self, for some, is doable by living vicariously through a teenager who gains followers of all stripes to get a more virtual firing squad rolling by pointing fingers at a system that they would have just as efficiently, probably more so, exploited for its relatively cheap and available energy.

Many of us know on some level we're screwed big time and that we're all to blame. We also know that the solutions being proposed are never going to happen because it's the entire system that's broken. It really is a house of cards we've built.

And so does anyone really think Greta's generation, if transplanted with ours, would have done anything differently than we did during the boom years while dreaming of trendy cars with half a dollar a gallon gas and shiny homes to nest with the latest and greatest?

She's simply become another virtual thing in our "I'll think about it tomorrow while I distract myself with something else now world." A movement that moves only within a moment in our minds and shuts down the realization that we've screwed the pooch in the worst way long enough to resume normal programming.

Marky,

I dunno, but I’m buying another mountain gorilla today because I have some spare cabbage and I simply can’t have too many mountain gorillas.

Joe

Marky,

One day it occurred to me that I could spend endless hours online complaining or I could do something.

Then I had a stroke of genius. I could spend endless hours online complaining *and* I could do something.

It’s all in the conjunction. Choose wisely.

Joe

Marky,

One day it occurred to me that I could spend endless hours online complaining or I could do something.

Then I had a stroke of genius. I could spend endless hours online complaining *and* I could do something.

It’s all in the conjunction. Choose wisely.

Joe

I think there's a distinction to be made between complaining and expressing what you believe to be true based on observation. Which is all I'm doing in most climate posts. So I'll stand by what I wrote in 852 because I believe it to be true.

What I find odd is that people don't consider the rhetoric of current climate movements complaint, when they're basically doing the same thing. And I concede that earlier generations have left these younger people a real mess and so they have a right to be angry.

And while some of us applaud their efforts to raise awareness --and to be clear, I'm not condemning that or what they're doing -- I'm simply observing and commenting as it plays out. Discounting what someone believes is true, whether it's a protester or an old man sharing a perspective, doesn't strike me as changey-hopey.

Anyway, If I thought that dragging my old ass out onto the street and joining a protest would help anything then I would.

Marky,

For the first time in my life, the Green candidate in my federal riding stands a decent chance of winning. I don't live in a granola-crunching part of the country, nor one that's particularly progressive (it leans centre-right), but he's neck-and-neck with the incumbent Liberal candidate and ahead of the Conservative candidate and far ahead of the über Conservative candidate.

Something must have happened recently.

Joe

advertisement

Back