advertisement

Way to go Greta

awkward,

Carbon dioxide absorbs infrared radiation bouncing back from the surface of the planet, then re-emits back towards Earth's surface, further warming it.

The process has been known since 1896, when Svante Arrhenius published the first paper on the contribution of carbon dioxide to the greenhouse effect: https://www.rsc.org/images/Arrhenius1896_tcm18-173546.pdf

Joe

More generally Fourier theorised about it 200 years ago? Either way we've had plenty of warning.

forcibly? or how do you police the policy?
No need. I think it is accepted that the World population is due to max out and peak, followed by some decline within the next 4 or so decades. There is a well established link between education levels and birth rate. Of course water resources may well have a say before then too.

Besides that the attempted population control in China has had unforeseen side effects that will continue to impact China for quite some time to come. I went to a very interesting Chinese led academic talk on this subject at the Hay Festival about 3 years ago - was dragged in my the two ladies I was with. It was very interesting.

childlessness is already incentivised.

It costs over £75,000 for a couple to raise a child.

https://www.lv.com/life-insurance/cost-of-raising-a-child-2019

Fair point for UK middle classes etc, But that's not where the population has exploded.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population

It's a startling picture when you start to map on the associated requirements for energy, food, waste, emissions etc on the planet. - all already growing too fast to be sustainable.

Birth rates and absolute numbers have slowed in Europe and USA, but this is not the case for the other populous geographies. Quite the opposite and with totally different cost metrics, and associated cultural drivers on population growth (e.g. Polygamy, Catholicism etc).

Gonna need a few Gretas to evangelize...

No need. I think it is accepted that the World population is due to max out and peak, followed by some decline within the next 4 or so decades. There is a well established link between education levels and birth rate. Of course water resources may well have a say before then too.

Besides that the attempted population control in China has had unforeseen side effects that will continue to impact China for quite some time to come. I went to a very interesting Chinese led academic talk on this subject at the Hay Festival about 3 years ago - was dragged in my the two ladies I was with. It was very interesting.

Can you expand a little on 'acceptance' that wWorld pop will max and level in coming decades I have not heard this.
I am reading and hearing that it is the opposite.

"extinction rebellion" protests begin in new york:

https://www.truthdig.com/photo-essays/extinction-rebellion-nyc-photo-essay/

1XR_Nigro_0417199436AZ0A9436.jpg

i see marky is already out there:

16XR_Nigro_0417199806_DSC9806.jpg

Carbon fibre is a strong material, I’d expect it to last pretty much indefinitely. I have a set of carbon forks on my bike and I would assume they will outlive me unless crushed in a road accident (like the last pair!). What actually wears out on a carbon boat assuming the paint layer is maintained or redone periodically? Surely it should last centuries?
In addition to CF eventually falling apart when it's being hammered across an ocean, composites in sea water take in water from the tiniest damage and the water gradually causes the resins to dissolve and fall apart. It's a problem with GRP hulls. However this isn't the point. Greta demonstrated that there are alternative modes of transport. Yes, it was a stunt. She could have got a trip across as crew on a container ship that was going anyway, that's not as spectacular a stunt. Doubters bitching about the yacht would bitch about my bicycle. "Ooh yeah, but look at the paint on that. That used solvents, and plastic, what about that? Didn't think about that, did you? And the oil on the chain, what about that? Ha, gotcha!" No, not really, I have thought about these things, and I judge a squirt of oil once a week to be a reasonable use of the world's resources. Now let's move on and have a think about what we as individuals can do to reduce non renewable energy and resources.

In addition to CF eventually falling apart when it's being hammered across an ocean, composites in sea water take in water from the tiniest damage and the water gradually causes the resins to dissolve and fall apart. It's a problem with GRP hulls. However this isn't the point. Greta demonstrated that there are alternative modes of transport. Yes, it was a stunt. She could have got a trip across as crew on a container ship that was going anyway, that's not as spectacular a stunt. Doubters bitching about the yacht would bitch about my bicycle. "Ooh yeah, but look at the paint on that. That used solvents, and plastic, what about that? Didn't think about that, did you? And the oil on the chain, what about that? Ha, gotcha!" No, not really, I have thought about these things, and I judge a squirt of oil once a week to be a reasonable use of the world's resources. Now let's move on and have a think about what we as individuals can do to reduce non renewable energy and resources.

steve.

with the rise of internet bitching over the past decade or so, it's been a revelation to see right-wing people discovering some basic rhetorical tools whilst at the same time failing to grasp the logical underpinnings required for a coherent argument.

I heard that the one child policy prevented approx 300 million births (I don't have a reference for this so please correct if wrong, think it was 'more or less' on r4)

Even if true,the problem is as birth rate falls due to education and rise in income, consumption and energy use increase. Approx 30 times higher per person between third world and first.

steve.

with the rise of internet bitching over the past decade or so, it's been a revelation to see right-wing people discovering some basic rhetorical tools whilst at the same time failing to grasp the logical underpinnings required for a coherent argument.

Yes, but hang on in there Vuk, you'll get there...

Good to see the Met Police finding enough officers to arrest 280 Extinction Rebellion supports yesterday while knife crime continues virtually unchecked. Well done Boris and Sadiq for focusing them on the real dangers to society! FFS, you couldn't make this shit up!

advertisement

Back