advertisement

Way to go Greta

Greta should attend the meeting virtually by Skype or similar technology ...

From an environmental footprint pov yes, but re: effectiveness not necessarily.

Never said she was unfit if you look at the posts.

You clearly implied she is unfit in #42

You requested information.

I requested a citation. You posted anonymous text.

She is far from unfit & her dedication is admirable but those around her need to be careful as not to exasperate her condition for their own ends.

Sounds neurotic.

I go on the data & the data suggests mankind has & is having an impact on climate change & fully understand that some need a kick up the arse to get interested but it shouldn't be at the cost to a single person.

It isn't at the cost of a single person. Your priorities in context are a puzzle.

Governments need to take charge from here on in IMO.

imo the failure of governments to take charge is exactly why Greta feels the need to campaign, and quite rightly so.

I hear that France sell razor blades if you like splitting hairs.

So what if she eats the food away from home or in Sweden? This isn't about cost, it's about travelling without burning fossil fuel. If you want to talk about cost then I’m sure that the millionaire’s racing yacht cost more than my house and won’t last 100 years, but that’s not the point.

I hear that France sell razor blades if you like splitting hairs.

So what if she eats the food away from home or in Sweden? This isn't about cost, it's about travelling without burning fossil fuel. If you want to talk about cost then I’m sure that the millionaire’s racing yacht cost more than my house and won’t last 100 years, but that’s not the point.
But I am getting to the burning of fossil fuel....unless she packed bio food grown in her own garden pretty much, the net gain might end up being a bit small. There may be other stuff to consider too, that I just don't know about...paper towel usage, special plastic bags for food etc etc.

She's fairly cool, but this message doesn't really work. Taking 2 weeks to get somewhere when it can be done in a day seems silly. A better message might be to attend virtually. Or not at all. But even attending virtually asks questions about server usage burning fossil fuel. And in another thread PFM is discussing this. It's all relevant.

What about the razor blades?

From an environmental footprint pov yes, but re: effectiveness not necessarily.

You clearly implied she is unfit in #42

I requested a citation. You posted anonymous text.

Sounds neurotic.

It isn't at the cost of a single person. Your priorities in context are a puzzle.

imo the failure of governments to take charge is exactly why Greta feels the need to campaign, and quite rightly so.
It's my nature to be concerned for the individual. I don't see this as a sin.
As far as suggesting she is unfit, you read what you want to read as far as I can see from your many posts.
I suggested that taking the actions she has suggested recently has me more concerned for her than for the current state of the climate.

It says much about government & society that it took a 16 year girl to get people talking about it.

People have been talking about it for some time.

It's my nature to be concerned for the individual. I don't see this as a sin.

Your concern appears to be based on a lack of information and a whiff of paranoia.

I suggested that taking the actions she has suggested recently has me more concerned for her than for the current state of the climate.

From what I have read Gretas' parents are supportive of her campaign, and her her team is well thought through + resourced, so istm she is fine.
Apart from that funny feeling in your waters do you have any reason(s) for your concern?

I don’t recall us kids bunking off school to go on environmental demos, so I think there are more of them willing to become active now.
Indeed, but babyboomers were much more active on the front against nukes, which was also about the environment. The results:

Harrisburg was the apotheosis of 60s-70s no-nukes demos. Then the movement petered out.
Tchernobyl woke it up big time, a few years later it was forgotten again. All those shiny new home computers needed power after all didn't they.
Fukushima anyone ?

Looking at how things go, I must say that if Greta Thunberg's emotional speeches won't save the planet, they won't do any harm either.

People have been talking about it for some time.

Your concern appears to be based on a lack of information and a whiff of paranoia.

From what I have read Gretas' parents are supportive of her campaign, and her her team is well thought through + resourced, so istm she is fine.
Apart from that funny feeling in your waters do you have any reason(s) for your concern?
You disagreeing only enforces my opinion.

Being diligent in this area is something which has seen me in good stead for a good few years but if you would like to offer an actual opinion rather than the usual troll fest then I'm happy to humour you.

You disagreeing only enforces my opinion.

contrary Mary alert

Being diligent in this area is something which has seen me in good stead for a good few years but if you would like to offer an actual opinion rather than the usual troll fest then I'm happy to humour you.

Not diligent in comprehending posts you are replying to. I have already offered "an actual opinion":

Do you have any well based reason(s) for your concern(s)?

Indeed, but babyboomers were much more active on the front against nukes, which was also about the environment. The results:

Looking at how things go, I must say that if Greta Thunberg's emotional speeches won't save the planet, they won't do any harm either.

Well I agree with your last line!

You are right that BB were the anti-nuke generation, but not out campaigning when they were 16.

This is what a BB+ 16 year old campaigner sounded like in 77.

Stephen

... answered.

Sorry I missed it. Where?

Care to offer an opinion on the thread subject.

Care to (re)read the thread?

A town is being evacuated because parts of the wall of the nearby reservoir have collapsed in floods. The Toddbrook Reservoir dam, above Whaley Bridge in Derbyshire, was damaged following heavy rains. Police have told the town's 6,500 residents to gather at a local school and they will be evacuated from there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49189955

Sorry I missed it. Where?

Care to (re)read the thread?
Probably in all my time on pfm Sean is the only member never to slip into personal vendetta mode. An admirable quality on social media, something we should all aim for.

Probably in all my time on pfm Sean is the only member never to slip into personal vendetta mode. An admirable quality on social media, something we should all aim for.

Personal vendetta mode is a new one on me.
Anyway, pvm would be a good name for a pfm tribute website.

she isn't going to change anything. She might have got a few people chatting, but only because she is a child.

The politicians are only wagging their fingers and pretending to listen as it would be terrible PR to ignore a child that appears to have a message which resonates with the press.

This is a game of politics, PR, the press and nothing more.

she isn't going to change anything. She might have got a few people chatting, but only because she is a child.

The politicians are only wagging their fingers and pretending to listen as it would be terrible PR to ignore a child that appears to have a message which resonates with the press.

This is a game of politics, PR, the press and nothing more.
I'm half with you there, but it is more...leaving aside the loons posting above, this is the biggest problem faced by mankind since some homo erectus picked up a large stick and hit his next door neighbour over the head with it.
Poor old Cooky and all with his worries over Obama's 'sea level' residence exactly show why we can never, ever have enough publicity for what is about to occur. Let's face it, a LOT of 'us' are thick as shit, but on some level, that child is even reaching them! We need this stuff.

this is the biggest problem faced by mankind since some homo erectus picked up a large stick and hit his next door neighbour over the head with it.

I agree

Let's face it, a LOT of 'us' are thick as shit, but on some level, that child is even reaching them! We need this stuff.

is she really? will any individuals change behaviour as a result, let alone governments....

I think the problem has dawned on us too late. The commercial imperatives of nations are still dictating behaviours. We hear the words, but we need action....

We might be able to slow it down, but I fear it is too late.....

advertisement

Back