Way to go Greta

I've just remembered this Agnès Varda documentary worth watching:

The Gleaners & I
Les glaneurs et la glaneuse
Directed by Agnès Varda
France, 2000
Documentary

Synopsis
Varda’s rumination on this art of “living off the leftovers of others” finds inspiration in both past and present, rural and urban, the political and the highly personal. Camera in hand, Varda interviews those for whom gleaning is a way of life, or an encompassing philosophy.

Longer trailer here: https://mubi.com/films/the-gleaners-i/trailer

this is indeed a great documentary film. i should re-watch it.

Very distinctive French accent in that trailer. France isn't as rich in accents as the UK, I'm no expert but other than a generic southern accent, the alps and the rural North I can't pick them out. Certainly the west of france is very homogenous "standard French" until you get down near the Pyrenees.

That said, once you have heard a proper Marseille accent you won't forget it. It's another language!

Why on earth (no pun intended) is anyone taking this ill-informed, unqualified young lady even slightly seriously? Especially world leaders who, frankly, should know far better. Her position/argument is completely emotional, no facts in it at all.
There is no 'climate crisis' or 'global warming'. Yes the climate changes, but it is very slowly, like over millenia, not a couple of decades, it cools and warms very slowly, mostly based on the temperature of the sea.
As for CO2 being responsible, that doesn't stand up to the slightest scientific scrutiny. The planet has been warmer in the past with lower CO2, and colder with much higher CO2 levels, long before the SUV (or even the motor car) was thought up. CO2 is actually at dangerously low levels at present - around 400ppm. Life on earth starts to die off at around 270ppm. CO2 is essential for life on the planet, it is therefore not a pollutant - nature doesn't work like that. Why do gardeners increase the level of CO2 to around 1500ppm in greenhouses? To speed up plant growth. This would be unlikely if CO2 was actually a pollutant.

Not a single one of the predicted 'disasters' that so-called 'climate change' (rebranded from 'global warming' in 2004 when it was discovered that the planet wasn't actually getting any warmer) has actually happened.
"The Arctic will be ice-free in summer by 2012" said Al Gore... turns out ice at both poles is increasing. Maldives disappearing under water by 2014? They are still there.

These celebrities and world leaders all go to these summits in jet aeroplanes, and get ferried around in huge limos while there. Does that not tell you that they KNOW it's a scam?

Lastly, I will leave you with this thought: Barack Obama and Al Gore have both bought beach front sea level properties. Why would they do that if sea levels were actually rising?

I just entered this thread, and have to say this is one of the most asinine, ignorant and blatantly wrong posts I have seen on PFM. Rcook, whoever you are, I trust that you don't have any descendants who would have to suffer the consequences of short sighted policies implemented by people like you. RCooke, please cite your scientific experts that back up your viewpoint, sure you can point out time frame inaccuracies in anyone's prediction, but you can't dispute the trends. Increase in ice at the poles? I suggest you look at NASA website data that clearly shows arctic ice decreasing rapidly and antarctic ice only having show a short term increase (and now its lower than 20 year ago) due to shifting wind patterns due to wind changes caused by climate change.

Should we thank Greta?

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines is to replace one of its five daily flights between Brussels and Amsterdam Schiphol with reserved seat capacity on a Thalys high speed train service from March 29 2020.

This is intended as the first step in a programme to gradually cut back the number of flights between Brussels and Amsterdam, with passengers using rail to connect with intercontinental flights at Schiphol.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/high-speed/klm-replaces-plane-with-high-speed-train/54577.article

Should we thank Greta?

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines is to replace one of its five daily flights between Brussels and Amsterdam Schiphol with reserved seat capacity on a Thalys high speed train service from March 29 2020.

This is intended as the first step in a programme to gradually cut back the number of flights between Brussels and Amsterdam, with passengers using rail to connect with intercontinental flights at Schiphol.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/high-speed/klm-replaces-plane-with-high-speed-train/54577.article

This would support the airline’s sustainability initiatives, and enable airport slots to be used for flights to long-haul destinations.

I suppose that at least they haven't increased the overall number of slots, or maybe they are at capacity and this is an economic decision.

So on the assumption that long haul pollutes the planet more than short haul, the initiative will be more polluting.

_108485539_optimised-travel_carbon-nc.png

well there you go.

Why is the image so massive on screen though?
No idea. Sorry, I got it from the beeb.

Short haul is lower altitude and produces more emissions.
Also it is easier to replace with high speed trains than intercontinental flights.

No idea. Sorry, I got it from the beeb.

Nevermind - I think the image is being stretched to full width of the window for some reason. So on my phone it is nice and compact. But on my 32 inch on desk at work, it is stretched to the full 32"

I’ve rarely been in a car for two months now. Train, bus, bicycle and of course Shanks’s pony. What’s the Emissions data on the last?

Found this guy’s estimate of walking 3.2km to work-

By car: 0.88 kg CO2
Walking: 0.039 kg CO2
Riding a bike: 0.017 kg CO2

The point that shouldn't have to be made is that human powered transport is effectively carbon free because humans have to eat anyway and someone who walks or cycles to work doesn't in practice consume any more food than someone who doesn't.

surely more carbs are required and more consumed with a resulting increase in methane emission, esp if subject is vegetarian?
In theory, yes they do. However in practice the difference is so vanishingly small it's not worth talking about.
let's say you have a normal sized man walking a mile to work, then the same home. Takes him 22 minutes each way, he's not racing. Walking at medium pace like this is worth 5 calories a minute over sitting on your arse. So his 45 minute round trip is 225 calories. This is contained in 4 digestive biscuits or about 3/4 of a pint of beer.

I don't know anyone this side of a professional athlete who controls their diet down to 200 calories a day, or 4 biscuits. If they do then they'll have a BMI under 20 and be in Team GB next year.

So our man who walks to work needs 4 biscuits to fuel it. Or possibly a pint. That's not going to register in the difference in food consumption between 2 normal individuals.

Sadly most people produce hydrogen in farts, not methane. I'm told hydrogen has a yellow flame, methane blue. My farts give yellow flames. I'm disappointed. It's a useless gas in the normal world.

Sadly most people produce hydrogen in farts, not methane. I'm told hydrogen has a yellow flame, methane blue. My farts give yellow flames. I'm disappointed. It's a useless gas in the normal world.
Of course, that could just be the little microparticles of poo glowing in the methane-fuelled inferno!

advertisement

Back