advertisement

Way to go Greta

I see. I don't but clearly we are on different planets. OK then well I will simply duck out of your life. As I said elsewhere, I had no idea you were so (over) sensitive and I'm sorry to offend you. I'm out and you are on ignore. It's best for us both I'd guess.

But he's the world's most boring anarchist.

possibly because you're thinking of the colloquial/hollywood concept of anarchy, which is about being in a criminal gang and smashing bottles of bourbon in a drunken rage, as opposed to the pretty boring political meaning.

I have it on good authority that Vuk never smashes bottles of bourbon in a drunken rage. He drinks bottles of bourbon, then passes out on the sofa while listening to Beethoven's ninth.

Joe

Vuk,

I can almost tell an institute's or think tank's political leanings from its name.

A few bidnit words (e.g., competitiveness, progress, enterprise, free) or some populist terms (e.g., heartland, heritage) and it's guaranteed to contain a 23.986 megaGauss conservative loony magnet.

Joe
"Democracy" is also popular with the extreme right. Democracy, not so much.

tuga,

If you assume everything Trump says is bullshit or a blatant lie, you'll be pleasantly surprised once every five or six years.

Joe

Vuk,

I can almost tell an institute's or think tank's political leanings from its name.

A few bidnit words (e.g., competitiveness, progress, enterprise, free) or some populist terms (e.g., heartland, heritage) and it's guaranteed to contain a 23.986 megaGauss conservative loony magnet.

Joe

joe.

you forgot one of their favourites: "liberty".

interview on "democracy now"

i'd like to take a little step back from the immediate conversation and direct you to the video below -- a 45 minute interview of greta on democracy now.

at the very least, you will come to know how to pronounce the name correctly. the rest really depends on your sensibilities. to me, it's like the improbable spectacle of witnessing an elizabeth gaskell heroine come to life in my era.

#1 if we leave aside strict grammatical quibbles, the english competence for someone who didn't actually live in an english country is remarkable -- to what extent this is attributable to the education system in sweden or the condition the medical establishment has diagnosed her with, i don't know (though, as a professional in the broad field, i have little faith in the latter), but it's seriously impressive either way.

#2 compare the leader of your nation and what he or she would have had to say in similar circumstances, in native language. canada fails for sure, big time. USA, of course: you really deserve being invaded by a benevolent imposer of true democracy like yousrself.

#3 during the interview, greta makes quite clear that she is "merely" raising awareness and that it's the scientists we need to listen/speak to about what to do. the porsche-driving people here may want to think about that before working up straw-woman outrage over the lack of impact they claim she's had (from the vantage point of the exclusive social realm in which they exist).

i'd like to take a little step back from the immediate conversation and direct you to the video below -- a 45 minute interview of greta on democracy now.

at the very least, you will come to know how to pronounce the name correctly. the rest really depends on your sensibilities. to me, it's like the improbable spectacle of witnessing an elizabeth gaskell heroine come to life in my era.

#1 if we leave aside strict grammatical quibbles, the english competence for someone who didn't actually live in an english country is remarkable -- to what extent this is attributable to the education system in sweden or the condition the medical establishment has diagnosed her with, i don't know (though, as a professional in the broad field, i have little faith in the latter), but it's seriously impressive either way.

#2 compare the leader of your nation and what he or she would have had to say in similar circumstances, in native language. canada fails for sure, big time. USA, of course: you really deserve being invaded by a benevolent imposer of true democracy like yousrself.

#3 during the interview, greta makes quite clear that she is "merely" raising awareness and that it's the scientists we need to listen/speak to about what to do. the porsche-driving people here may want to think about that before working up straw-woman outrage over the lack of impact they claim she's had (from the vantage point of the exclusive social realm in which they exist).

Thanks for posting this.

Well, I don't drive a Porsche. In fact, if I sold my only car the proceeds might buy 2 wheels from a Porsche, and that's being optimistic. And I'm certainly not outraged by Greta Thunberg. She's remarkably composed given the role she's taken on and the situation her entire generation is facing.

The question I asked several posts back was an honest one. Yes, she's raising awareness and compelling debate, but so far, that debate is people lining up to debate each other over Greta Thunberg raising awareness.

When I look around I see a lot of awareness. Plenty, in fact. People are aware but they're not listening or they don't care or they're unable to comprehend the message. It's one of the three.

She's telling you not to concentrate on individual efforts but to see the big picture because we're so far past the little efforts those efforts are laughable. But here it is, people listing their efforts and defending a young girl's honor in what I'm left to conclude is some sense of patriarchal duty when she's obviously more than capable of taking care of her own honor.

I have to think her expectation for having spread this awareness and what the public has about the awareness are two distinctly different things.

And so I'm saying her real battle isn't raising a literal awareness, it's a battle against the collective mindset behind this faux activism by proxy and rampant personal virtue-signaling in place of real activism, and how that dovetails with people's non-negotiable lifestyles.

Because to actually support a Greta Thunberg, people are going to have to negotiate their QoL for real. And I don't see that happening based on anything I'm seeing or reading.
-

I've just remembered this Agnès Varda documentary worth watching:

The Gleaners & I
Les glaneurs et la glaneuse
Directed by Agnès Varda
France, 2000
Documentary

Synopsis
Varda’s rumination on this art of “living off the leftovers of others” finds inspiration in both past and present, rural and urban, the political and the highly personal. Camera in hand, Varda interviews those for whom gleaning is a way of life, or an encompassing philosophy.

Longer trailer here: https://mubi.com/films/the-gleaners-i/trailer

Reactions: vuk

advertisement

Back