Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Watches from Dubai or Abu Dhabi

Discussion in 'off topic' started by RBrinsdon, Jan 12, 2020.

1. 35451

35451 Guest

Get yer wife, colleague etc to carry empty box separately.

2. 35451

35451 Guest

Leather or metal bracelet sir?

3. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

guest,

I’m not a Rolex guy. I’m a Seiko man, man.

Yes, I know, they’re crap, but my Seiko diver’s watch is surprisingly close to the *real* thing for 1/20th the price.

Joe

PhilofCas, vuk and ErikL like this.
  4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

There are Rolex boutiques in T2, 4 and 5, I think. All air side.

5. Tony Lockhart

6. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

in our f'd up world seiko is actually/rightly the cool watch and rolex is what the golden globes crowd is wearing.

MikeMA and PhilofCas like this.
  7. Tony Lockhart

You can pick on any sector of society and attach Rolex to it with a negative comment. Why? Because the watches appeal to a wide audience. From a £2k used Oyster upwards, most people in work can aspire to one without having to spend months learning about all the boutique watches from tiny villages in the alps.

35451 likes this.
  8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

PhilofCas and Rockmeister like this.
  9. 35451

35451 Guest

They aren't crap. What makes you say that? Seiko is to Japanese watchmaking as Panerai is to Italy. They have a long history (1800s) and are one of the few that make every single component in house. For their high end mechanical pieces They are considered to be as good as any of their Swiss counterparts in accuracy quality etc.

To many they are known for cheap quartz watches, but for watch nerds their rep is top.
    https://www.watchtime.com/featured/timepiece-timeline-milestone-seiko-watches/

Quite fancy a 1960s Grand Seiko dress watch for my little collection - a bit of a Speedmaster copy but time a nice and good value classic.

I am a Rolex fan, but not a watch snob.

I see it a bit like classic hi fi, where Japan more than holds its own in tech merit and value.

10. 35451

35451 Guest

Point was that Rolex do not discount even in tax free, as opposed to not being present

11. 35451

35451 Guest

Half the GG crowd weren't even born when I bought mine. No one cares what they wear. Unless you read Hello or OK?

12. 35451

35451 Guest

13. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

To be fair, in my recent experience, many people seem to react in one of two ways to a Rolex on the wrist - particularly a vulgar gold one. Either they assume it's a fake bought overseas/on line or they think the wearer is a ****. Truly sad when the same people seem to crave tat and a flashy means of transport on favourable credit terms.

A good friend used to have a supplier of S/S Daytonas in Switzerland near Chur. He used to pick up RHD Porsche 911s from the dealer in the town, a Daytona or two, drive back and double his money tax free. Smart chap. He's retired now - at 60 :)

14. Tony Lockhart

I wasn’t saying you would get caught, but returning from Dubai in itself attracts attention.

15. 35451

35451 Guest

Agree it's an old trick.

16. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Gave my Rolex to my son. Get the time from my phone.
    So old fashioned these young people.

17. 35451

35451 Guest

Can't fit a phone in my Speedos :cool:

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  18. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

You could.

You would get some looks.

35451 likes this.
  19. wacko

wacko pfm Member

If you wear Speedos the exact time is least of your problems.

Roger Adams and Rockmeister like this.
  20. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I bought my 1st decent watch (a Seiko) from Dubai whilst having a quick holiday there. Cheaper is always nice. How one deals with keeping it cheap on arrival back here is up to each individual.