advertisement

Wasp’s nest in compost bin - HELP!

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
Came home from 2 weeks in Luxembourg for our daughter to tell us that she thinks we might have a wasp’s nest in our compost bin. One quick look at the amount of wasps circling and going into the bin seemed to verify this.

What’s the best approach to take here?

I really have no experience here at all.

.sjb

If it’s a safe distance from anything else, set fire to it.

Many years ago one of our teachers attempted to do just that with a wasp nest in his garden ...

His face was swollen for weeks - oh how we laughed :D

My kids once took the lid off a compost heap that contained a wasps nest…. BIG mistake. I think 8 stings.

The next day the nest was gone.. badgers ate it, hence my post above.

if the compost heap is a safe distance from the house just leave it.

We had a wasps nest in a hole in the ground in one of our paddocks last year. It got eaten by a badger. It was absolute wasp carnage.

We had another nest in the roof, that we just left. They don’t return to old nests and they keep the bugs down. No one got stung. They are native fauna and we shouldn’t be killing them unless absolutely necessary.

Leave them alone. They do no harm and plenty of good. They are part of life on earth, part of countless bits of ecosystems.
They are no more likely to sting than any kind of bee and you'd leave bees alone.
At the end of summer, the colony will wind-down and disperse. The workers will live as long as the first frost, or until they starve (this is when they have the craving for sugary foods and drinks). Any queens will over-winter - for the past 2-3 years numerous have with me in my bungalow, along with at least one queen hornet.

LEAVE THEM ALONE.

I'm in the 'leave alone' camp as well. They do no harm. Well, apart from the time I was hedge trimming next door when it was unoccupied for months, and I disturbed a huge nest hanging in the hedge. 7 stings around my head for my troubles!!

2 bee stings from the hive next door last week when I was using some cleaner on my bike. They kept coming round me - I can only conclude it was the odour of the chain cleaner. Back of my head and my ankle. Itchy.

advertisement

Back