advertisement

War requiem very rustly even after cleaning - pressing?

ian r

401's Nakman
Thanks to the kindness of Capt Z Im using his VPI to clean LP's,

first on the list was Brittens war requiem which I bought on the fleabay and this is the first chance to clean it in 3 years

It has made zero differrence and the rustling continues almost unabated

Was there known hassles with that release - anyone old enough to know?

I had rather looked forward to it being improved as its a piece that needs silence - Im quite ok with background hiss on some pieces of music but this piece I cant get away from it

It could be it was played (before me) with a damaging needle but if so its not like any other album I know or heard where that has been more obvious

I've had so much bad luck with classical LPs that looked great, were cleaned, and still sounded crap that I rarely touch anything on vinyl these days, except recordings that have never surfaced on CD. The Decca Originals CDs of this is so cheap, and the remastering so good, I'd pick that up and save yourself the trouble.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000E6EGXM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I confess I fell in love with the big black box and all of my Britten stuff so far is vinyl but I'll take your point I think. With rock etc I dont mind some surface noise but this piece does demand more silence between the notes. I rarely buy vinyl sight unseen

big sigh

remastered isnt always a good thing - I shall research what it means in this case

Thanks

some times the vinyl is crap

sometimes its better after 2 washes, a little extra time with the cleaning fluid sitting and soaking.

sometimes its better after the washes and a few plays. your cartridge needle gets into the groove bettet or something

sometimes the recording or the vinyl is just trashed

I bought my LP copy of the Decca War Requiem in 1965, two years after the recording was made. I treated it (and the 1000-odd classical LPs in my collection) with the care and attention it deserved, on good turntables with undamaged styli.

It still plays as well as the day I bought it (I listened yesterday), with no extraneous noises. Maybe you got a stylus-damaged copy, which no cleaning will remedy.

If you succumb to the suggestion above to scrap vinyl in favour of CD for this item, try the Hickox version on Chandos - I hold it in higher esteem than the Decca CDs in terms of both performance and recording quality. In fact I use the latter set as a prime example when demonstrating to friends the inherent superiority of Vinyl over CD sound. Nobody has ever openly come out in support of CD after hearing this comparison, even though the Decca CDs are pretty good as CDs go. The Chandos CDs are excellent.

But my pristine Decca LPs get by far the most air time.

I will try a bit of a soak and yes I agree about the playing soon after gets all sorts of wondrous gunk out of a clean looking record

I have never really heard needle damage like it as its similar to pressing noise - but I know it isnt pressing noise really

V good to hear obaf Chandos - its not my favourite Britten work but my wife was a Britten Scholar back in the days and the Black Box set was part of that time for her .. sentimental I suppose

Somebody (possibly Mike Reed?) posted recently that they used neat IPA as a second wash and left it for 5 minutes before vacuuming it up and this solved a problem like this. Got to be worth a go

Ian I bought a pristine lookin Giulini Verdi Requiem to replace my knackered copy and the left channel was wrecked by what I presume was a damaged stylus which had lathed a new sound track ( constant crackle ) onto the disc for ever. Invisible to the naked eye.

advertisement

Back