advertisement

Wanted: Turntable service/restore near Bedford?

Another day, another box!
Hi everyone,

is anyone aware of a good fettler near Bedford that can help with basic restoration of a Thorens 124. I am speaking of wiring to modern standards, replacing strobe bulb, cleaning chassis/belts, greasing and replacing basic parts? Appreciate any recommendations and contact details within driving distance of Bedford please, up to 30miles? Thank you.

My personal recommendation would be to learn how to do this yourself. These turntables are beautiful mechanical engineering and if it is just a clean and re-lube that is needed very well documented online.

Strobe bulbs are just a bayonet fit (one here on eBay), you need to take the mirror off (it will be filthy and need cleaning) and it can then be fitted.

The mains is similarly easy, just replace the naff two-core lead with a nice flexible three-core (2-3 Amp) mains wire and take the earth to the chassis where the motor grounds. Crimping or soldering an eyelet on makes this easier/neater.

Here’s a pic showing both:

6544150091_18fc2bab22_c.jpg

Ignore the bottom of the motor being missing in this pic! I’ve since replaced the mains cable with a thinner and more flexible one, but the wiring is clear and it is a ten minute job. The mirror and strobe can be seen in place at the top. Mine has never blown, though I have a spare bulb in case it does! I took it all apart to clean everything, though the mirror needs doing again now, it catches dust regardless of the plastic window above!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thank you all for the suggestions. I am going to try the basics myself over the next few days, and see how i get on, at least get the motor started. This post by Tony really is helpful, I was struggling to find out how to replace the mains cable and figure out the + from neutral etc as the deck has no plug fitted, just bare original wires. Eeny, miney, mo didn't seem appropriate ....this time:)

Very happy to report that the Thorens has a new 3 core mains lead, is wired up and has been connected and is spinning happy as larry! A very satisfying moment for me as I purchased the deck without knowing if it worked, it had been in storage for many years and had no mains plug connected when it arrived. Thank you all for that 'little victory,' it has made my day! :)

advertisement

Back